• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A police officer marked "school zone" on my ticket when I was never in one.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BriJohnson106

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I recently got a ticket for not stopping for a school bus. I was on a four lane road with a turn lane and didn't realize I was supposed to stop since the bus was on the opposite side of the road, multiple lanes over and all the children were already off and heading down a separate road towards a trailer park and the bus was pulling away by the time I even was past it. I know that's not a viable excuse, but it never really came up before since I consistently work 10 to 6 and got out a couple hours early that day.

This is my first time getting pulled over, let alone getting a ticket, so I'm really not sure about this, but does the fact that there was a school bus present automatically make it a school zone or is this a mistake because I know the ticket will be twice as much if it's charged as being in a school zone?

I turned off of a road and the bus was just right there. On the opposite side of the road I turned from there is a school, but the school zone ends quite a bit before the intersection, so I was never actually in it. I had already pulled into my apartment building before he turned his lights on and my neighbors and landlord all got to stare at me as I got a ticket in the parking lot. The point is, I know there's no school zone where I was pulled over or where the incident happened.

FlyingRon

Whether that box is checked or not is immaterial. Whether you are in a school zone or not is immaterial. The statute you were charged with doesn't care.

It is illegal to pass a school bus with the red lights on. Multiple lanes do not excuse you. Where the students appear to be do not excuse you. You are required to come to a full stop not less than 20 feet from the bus and not pass it until it either turns off the lights or resumes motion.

BriJohnson106

I never said it excused me. I'm not looking to get out of the ticket. My only issue was with the fact that he said it was in a school zone which typically makes the fine higher.

FlyingRon

I never said it excused me. I'm not looking to get out of the ticket. My only issue was with the fact that he said it was in a school zone which typically makes the fine higher.
There is no increase in fine nor points for being in a school zone with this citation. As I told you it is IMMATERIAL. It's $180 (plus costs) and 3 points either way. The only time a school zone makes a difference is for speeding tickets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">