• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police officer road rage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annhoffman

What is the name of your state?
I am in Florida.

I would like for someone to offer their opinion. I was driving on the road and I was coming up to an intersection. An SUV came from behind me very fast and pretty much threw his car over two lanes, in front of a police officer, almost causing an accident because I was not too far behind. At this intersection, off to the side of the road, was another police officer. He had pulled over a car or something.
All I know is that the light turned green and this SUV, that was in front of me, wasn't moving. Finally he decided to move forward when all of a sudden about mid intersection he decides to come to a complete stop. So I honked the horn once. There was no one in front of him. So he decides to break hard in the middle of the intersection. So I went around him and put my blinker and got in front of him. I did give some room before I did the lane change. By all this I got upset, so I flicked him. NOt a GOOD IDEA, but now I know. The guy came around with his car, again driving recklessly, I might say. He then got next to me and pulled down his window, to show me his badge. He gives me twenty million excuses why he stopped in the middle of the road. One of them had to do with making sure is fellow officer was okay. Then he informed me that the only purpose the horn is supposed to be used is for an emergency. Then he threatened to get off his car to issue a ticket. He didn't give me a ticket but I feel he was wrong. Okay, granted, I was wrong for flicking him but that does not excuse his driving. What right's do I have? Am I not allowed to honk my horn and doesn't this country allow freedom of speech. Am I not allowed to express myself. Did I break a law? Please someone tell me. I was driving at the correct speed and as far as I know I didn't break any moving violations law. I would appreciate some feedback.

Ann

HomeGuru

annhoffman said:
What is the name of your state?
I am in Florida.

I would like for someone to offer their opinion. I was driving on the road and I was coming up to an intersection. An SUV came from behind me very fast and pretty much threw his car over two lanes, in front of a police officer, almost causing an accident because I was not too far behind. At this intersection, off to the side of the road, was another police officer. He had pulled over a car or something.
All I know is that the light turned green and this SUV, that was in front of me, wasn't moving. Finally he decided to move forward when all of a sudden about mid intersection he decides to come to a complete stop. So I honked the horn once. There was no one in front of him. So he decides to break hard in the middle of the intersection. So I went around him and put my blinker and got in front of him. I did give some room before I did the lane change. By all this I got upset, so I flicked him. NOt a GOOD IDEA, but now I know. The guy came around with his car, again driving recklessly, I might say. He then got next to me and pulled down his window, to show me his badge. He gives me twenty million excuses why he stopped in the middle of the road. One of them had to do with making sure is fellow officer was okay. Then he informed me that the only purpose the horn is supposed to be used is for an emergency. Then he threatened to get off his car to issue a ticket. He didn't give me a ticket but I feel he was wrong. Okay, granted, I was wrong for flicking him but that does not excuse his driving. What right's do I have? Am I not allowed to honk my horn and doesn't this country allow freedom of speech. Am I not allowed to express myself. Did I break a law? Please someone tell me. I was driving at the correct speed and as far as I know I didn't break any moving violations law. I would appreciate some feedback.

Ann

**A: thanks for writing.

racer72

In some states the act of giving an obscene gesture is considered road rage and enough to warrant a citation. That is one of the reasons when faced with a potential road rage problem, it is best to keep your cool and just drive away with a smile on your face. While driving on the road is not the place to take out ones aggressions. Too many innocent folks are getting hurt for no reason.

spawn_x

you were right to honk, but not flip the bird.

the SUV was not marked as a police car nor did he have sirens on, that gives him absolutely no excuse to stay at the intersection when the light turned green.

he was probably off-duty.

and i haven't heard of the horn being used only in emergencies... if someone is parked at a green light i'll honk all i damn please until he moves his ass or turns on the emergency blinkers so i could pass.

if i feel angry enough to flip someone off i usually just drive by and give them a real nasty look. coming from a big guy that has pretty much the safe effect as flipping the bird, but its all legal :D :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">