• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Radar Model

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matoau

Rosemount, MN area of alledged violation.

Is there any way to obtain the model number of the Radar used to clock my speed by a specific officer or even police department? I contacted the department's LT and left a voice mail - no return phone call. Should I call back?

I'm asking because part of my defense is that I was NOT speeding (51 in a 45), and when I asked officer to show me the radar he said the number on the RIGHT was my speed, and the number on the LEFT was his speed.

It read:
41 - - - - - 52

However. Every single model of radar gun I have found on the internet ALWAYS shows the TARGET speed, i.e., ME on the LEFT and the officer's speed on the RIGHT!

So if I could find out what model device he is using this would be great information to bring to the DA when I have to meet with him/her at my court date.

M

Last edited:

The Occultist

I'm confused, are you saying you were going 51 and his radar gun said 52 and that 1mph difference is gonna determine whether or not you were speeding?

sukharev

It's quite simple, really. There are 2 ways:

1) submit discovery request to DA (call the court to find out whom to send it to, and google the details on discovery)

2) submit Freedom of Information Act request to PD

While you are at it, you may want to request calibration, test logs and officer training record.

matoau

I just spoke to the departments LT. and he told me that they use the MPH PYTHON.

While this, http://www.mphindustries.com/products_home/python_III_radar.html, looks very much like the model I was clocked with, I am not sure, but I am sure that I was NOT clocked with the Python II.

I said all that say that the LT. told me that the device is read like this from left to right and said this, and I quote.

"PATROL - LOCK - TARGET."

As you can see from the model. That is clearly NOT the case. The device is read as such:

TARGET - LOCK - PATROL

In addition. I searched over 30 "police radars" and all of them read like the above.

when I was pulled over and after I asked to see the radar it read like this:

41 - X - 52

Do I have any case? What would a DA say if I brought that information to them? Too bad? Your word against his from this point?

M

CdwJava

The lieutenant is not a witness nor has he likely operated a radar in years. What he TOLD you is not going to be relevant unless HE is testifying for some reason.

Seek Discovery and ask for the model, serial number, maintenance records, etc. for the device. You can also seek the training record (for the radar) of the officer who used the device.

And, of course, the officer can argue that you read it wrong and got the numbers flipped.

- Carl

Last edited:

matoau

I was thinking that I would do this at my court date.

1) Ask for a deal with no points and pay a fine stating my clean driving record.

2) Ask for a contingency deal, i.e., no ticket or violation within a year - citation falls off.

3) If the DA refuses, just take my chances in court in front of a judge.

Does that seem like a good game plan?

sukharev

Yes, it's a good plan. To be prepared for the worst case scenario (trial) is the way to go, though. Do discovery, see if you can find any technicalities to defend on.

CdwJava

matoau said:
The only thing is that I am not a lawyer... I have no idea how to do "Discovery".
Find your local court's web site or contact them directly. Most courts have some information on how to go about requesting discovery.

- Carl

matoau

Ok, last (I think) question...

If I can get a hold of the calibration records for the radar used to clock me... What is the frequency in which there would be issue?

For example. Let's say that the radar that clocked me was last calibrated one week, a day, a month prior to clocking me.

Does that matter? At what point does it matter in terms of this ticket getting thrown out, i.e., one day, a week, a month?

Or does it need to be calibrated every single day? I hope these questions make sense. :)

Last edited:

sukharev

test should be done every time the radar is used, before and after the shift. Test is a simple check for proper operation. For radar, 2 tuning forks with different frequency are used, to test if radar can detect those frequencies. Forks, in turn have to be matched and calibrated. Radar and forks calibration should be done at least each year. Calibration is a detailed tuning done by experts, and a document must be on file at PD.

CdwJava

It doesn't have to be tested after every USE ... heck, THAT would be horrendously impractical!

The tests should be done - at a minimum - at the start of each shift. I suppose you COULD do one at the end as well, but I do not think that is mandataed anywhere I have seen out here.

- Carl

CdwJava said:
It doesn't have to be tested after every USE ... heck, THAT would be horrendously impractical!

The tests should be done - at a minimum - at the start of each shift. I suppose you COULD do one at the end as well, but I do not think that is mandataed anywhere I have seen out here.

- Carl
Well if it is done before every shift...then it is done at the end of every shift. Think about it.

Roughly every 8 hours or so. (time may vary between jurisdictions)

Seems like a reasonable time between calibrations.

CdwJava

StickyFingers said:
Well if it is done before every shift...then it is done at the end of every shift. Think about it.

Roughly every 8 hours or so. (time may vary between jurisdictions)

Seems like a reasonable time between calibrations.
Not necessarily. Not every radar is used every shift. And for vehicle mounted radars, even they aren't used each shift .... rarely do vehicles run 24 hours - not unless you want to run them into the ground!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">