• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postpone a court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trafficlaw

What is the name of your state?PA

I got a speeding ticket and want to fight for it. The court appearance is set at a date I am out of town due to work assignment. I called up and the judge not so politely denied the request and I could appeal the guilty ruling within 30 days.

Do I have a legal right to ask for a reschedule?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

trafficlaw

Common courtesy to other's inquiry is applicable to web posting. If you do not have any constructive advice, please keep to yourself.

Anyone who is familiar with legal terms can help provide some suggestion? I have an obligation and want to reschedule for a date that I can get a fair hearing.

lwpat

Then file a motion with the court for a continuance. Attach a notarized letter from your company stating that your job requires you to be out of town on that date and that there is no one that can take your place. Send it CRRR or take it to the court and have the clerk date/time stamp it. At least if he denies the motion it will be on the record. A copy of the local court rules normally is available at the local library or you can ask the clerk of court. Here is a typical continuance:

Rule 216*(F) Application For Continuance

Except in cases of emergency or circumstances which could not reasonably have been ascertained or known prior thereto, no application for continuance of the trial of any case appearing on the trial list prepared and distributed pursuant to Rules *263 or *265 shall be granted unless presented in writing to the court administrator at least one week prior to the commencement of such trial list. Each application shall set forth the specific grounds for the request and shall also expressly state, after appropriate actual inquiry of all other counsel of record, whether the application is opposed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">