• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postponing a Court Date - NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolilfishylo

What is the name of your state? New York

I got a speeding ticket sevral months back, and my court date is near the end of October. It was my first ticket ever, and that had me messed up enough as it is. The trouble is, I need to postpone it. How would I go about doing that, and what kind of information and documentation would I need to provide?

Most courts are willing to acknowledge by assigning an arbitrary hearing date it might cause a schedule conflict. Therefore a request for a continuance from either party is usually granted without exception. However, most traffic courts resist granting a second or third continuance so make sure you can make the new date and time assigned.

So, as the Occultist accurately advised, call the clerk of courts in the jurisdiction where the hearing is scheduled and simply ask to reschedule (continue) the hearing to a future date. Hint: the phone number is on the Notice of Hearing paperwork you recently received. Also, do not wait until the day before the hearing. The sooner the better. . .

When you arrive for your hearing wear business attire, show the court respect, and communicate truthfully.

KTL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">