• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power Slide on a Gravel Road

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TNParent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My sixteen year old son uses a gravel construction road to bypass a busy intersection on his way to school. He often does a power slide while on the gravel road simply because it's fun.

One morning a Tn Trooper ticketed him for "Failure to Use Caution (or care)." There was no danger of my son sliding into anything.

My question is, does the officer have the legal authority to ticket him for doing a power slide when he was not on a public road?

I do believe the officer waited for my son to leave the gravel road to pull him over, so he pulled him over on a highway. The ticket does say that the infraction took place on the gravel road behind a gas station located at that intersection.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My sixteen year old son uses a gravel construction road to bypass a busy intersection on his way to school. He often does a power slide while on the gravel road simply because it's fun.

One morning a Tn Trooper ticketed him for "Failure to Use Caution (or care)." There was no danger of my son sliding into anything.

My question is, does the officer have the legal authority to ticket him for doing a power slide when he was not on a public road?

I do believe the officer waited for my son to leave the gravel road to pull him over, so he pulled him over on a highway. The ticket does say that the infraction took place on the gravel road behind a gas station located at that intersection.

Thanks!
Would you rather he be charged with a crime for trespassing and/or vandalism?

ETA: Maybe it's time that sonny learns to grow up when behind the wheel.

RRevak

Would you rather he be charged with a crime for trespassing and/or vandalism?

ETA: Maybe it's time that sonny learns to grow up when behind the wheel.
And also learns that there are specific places where one can legally drive like that. Pay a few bucks and you can have all the fun you want.

TNParent

Thanks for the parenting advice, but I'm really looking for advice about the legality of the ticket.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It obviously was a road open to public motor vehicle traffic otherwise your son would not have been able to just drive onto it. In case like that most, if not all, motor vehicle laws apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">