• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preparing for Court Appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leshante

Hi Everyone:

I need advices on what I should expect on my upcoming court appearance. This is the situation I'm in. The instance occurred in San Mateo County, California

Two weeks ago, I made a right turn in an suburban intersection when the traffic light was red. I stopped before I turned, but missed the sign that indicated "no turn in red." A traffic cop gave me a citation. I was marked at 10 mph.

Today I received a notice of bail from the county. My bail was $893.00. My violations are as below:

VC-21461A - Driver Fail to Obey Signs
VC-16028A - Evidence Financial Resp

I do have driver insurance, but I couldn't provide it to the cop because I didn't know that it was placed in my back trunk. I can provide proof of insurance during my trial. I have no criminal record, no civil litigation record, and no moving citation prior to this incidence. I believe I have at most two parking tickets since I had my driver license at 16.

So my questions are as below:
1. If I can provide proof of insurance to the court, will my bail be substantially lower?
2. Should I try to appear in court and plead guilty, or just pay the bail and forfeit?
3. How much should I realistically expect this citation will ultimately cost me?
4. Am I eligible for traffic school?

Kindly appreciate all advices and assistance. Thank you and have a good day.

occharge

The $893 fine that is shown on the notice is split as follows (approximation)
VC-21461A - Driver Fail to Obey Signs $143
VC-16028A - Evidence Financial Resp $750

So my questions are as below:
1. If I can provide proof of insurance to the court, will my bail be substantially lower?
Yes, if you can show proof that you had insurance on the date that you were cited then the VC16028A will be dismissed after you pay a $10 court administrative fee. You can show proof of financial responsibility before the Judge/in court/at your arraignment or you can just go to the Traffic Clerk window at the assigned court, pay the $10 fee and the VC16028A will be dismissed.

2. Should I try to appear in court and plead guilty, or just pay the bail and forfeit?
You don’t necessarily need to appear before the Judge... You can handle everything at the traffic window. Really depends on how much time you have to burn. Sitting in court waiting for your name to be called might take longer however, I personally find it as an entertaining experience... You'll hear some stories you're not gonna hear while standing in line at the traffic window.
3. How much should I realistically expect this citation will ultimately cost me?
If you choose to plead guilty on the VC 21461 violation then you should expect a fine of approximately $143. If your proof of financial responsibility is in good order, you'll need to add $10... If you choose to take the Traffic School option, you need to add an additional $39. So "realistically", anywhere between $143 and $192.
4. Am I eligible for traffic school?
If you have not attended traffic school for another citation in the last 18 months then you can take that option. That too can be done at the traffic window/no need to appear in court to request it.

Good luck and drive safely...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">