• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Property and Stop Signs...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcgumshoe

What is the name of your state? FL/CA

Okay, I've always believed the following to be true, if you are driving a motor vehicle on private property and you "yield" to any traffic that has the right of way, not stopping at a posted stop sign on private property is a non-issue.

For example, I'm in the Walmart parking lot and driving safely down a row of parking spaces and come to a posted stop sign. Having already recognized that there are no cars coming in either direction, I do NOT stop for the nuisance sign and continue through. Can a police officer pull me over for failing to stop at such a sign when it does not occur on public/state/government property? Or can they pull me over and site me for "failure to stop" at a stop sign?

Last edited:

racer72

Can a police officer pull me over for failing to stop at such a sign when it does not occur on public/state/government property? Or can they pull me over and site me for "failure to stop" at a stop sign?
Sure they can. There are a couple reasons why. First, even though it is "private property", it is still open to the general public. Second, the stop sign may be a requirement per city or state code. The same code may give the local police jurisdiction for traffic control in the parking lot. Traffic laws don't end at the edge of the property line.

CdwJava

It depends on state law ... you asked about FL and CA. In CA most traffic signs on private property can NOT be enforced by law enforcement. However, they can be a factor in a reckless driving in a parking lot charge, or fault if you get into a traffic collision/

- Carl

pcgumshoe

I spend time between the two states and that was my understanding in California... a police officer couldn't cite me for running a stop sign (essentially in a vacant parking lot) because it is private property... as far as Florida, I'm not sure... I ask because I drove past a stop sign in a parking lot right next to a police cruiser (vacant) and thought I better check if similar California law applies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">