• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probable cause dismissal of red light camera video evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AntTD

Got me too!

Hello - I also received a "violation" notice yesterday for Failure to Observe Signal at the same intersection Route 70 W. & Springdale Road. (Funny thing is when I mentioned this to a co-worker today, they too received one at the same intersection! Seems to be a hot spot for violations.) Technically - after seeing the video, I suppose I did not come to an absolute complete stop before the white line... it was pretty darn close though and I didn't stop in the cross walk. I 'stopped', signaled right, and proceeded to my make the right on red. It seems very ridiculously "picky" for there to be a violation issued. My question is... although it seems easy to just pay the $85 since technically I was wrong, if I go to court to plea my case am I opening myself up to additional court fees or additional citations?
Thanks for all of your discussion so far!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you didn't stop fully then it's not "picky" - you're guilty.

Please don't hijack someone else's thread. If you have a question about your own case or situation start your own.

pcsa

How was your day in court?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I received two red light camera tickets (a week apart) for making right hand turns on red at Rt 70W and Springdale in Cherry Hill, NJ. After receiving the second ticket, I called the Cherry Hill police department to find out what I was doing wrong. I was told that the camera triggers if you do not stop for 4-seconds behind the threshold before proceeding. When I stated that the rules must have changed since I took my driver's test, the officer said they did not. There is no 4-second rule in any statute. I asked if it was him, what would he do? He said he'd plead not guilty due to the trigger criteria for the camera.

Is the non-legislated 4-second trigger for the camera sufficient to have the video evidence dismissed for lack of probable cause to take said video? Can the police department simply put up a red light camera that effectively monitors all cars making right hand turns? (FWIW: The last time I was at the intersection with my new found understanding of the 4-second rule, the car behind me honked when I hit 3 as I was counting off the seconds. This is NJ after all...)

I have my day in court on June 5th. If they dismiss one of the two tickets, I'll call it a day, but if I must defend, I'd prefer a reasonable argument not based upon silly technicalities.

I have received a "camera" ticket also for rolling a red light on a right turn in Edison.
In my case, I felt I was not going to be able to make a safe stop since I had a car behind me, also signaling for right turn. I did not notice the amber to red light change. I was amber when I approached the intersection and was checking for cars on the right side, people ready to cross and cars behind. The car behind was my reason for me not to stop as I thought I was still under amber. The picture shows I was approaching the intersection line at 0.89 seconds after the red light came on.

I found one post somewhere suggesting:
1. To notify the court my intent to plea not guilty.
2. On the court date, there would be policemen showing me the video and explaining me how it works and make me admit I was guilty and recommend me to "stipulate" which means to approve when the judge asks me to let the video be seen by the court. I should just node to them, but not promise I would do it
3. When the judge asks me to stipulate. I should say No Thanks your honor. This should require then to have the custodian of the video, who may be in other state, to bring the video and explain himself how it works, etc.
4. Then the judge would dismiss the ticket if the video custodian is not present the evidence go the traffic violation.. you win.

Please share your experience.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're going to lose so quickly that you will, quite literally, be left reeling.

:rolleyes:

Now, don't hijack threads! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">