• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probably HTO but what would pleading no contest do for me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karita1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I recently moved to a smaller city in WI that I grew up in. In the past, I would get one or two speeding tickets and let them go til I was suspended (cuz who has $300 to spare) then I would avoid easier routes around the times I knew the police would be around(plus they were busy chasing crackheads, domestic abusers or waiting for a DUI), let my tickets go to collection, then I would pay my reinstatement fee to the DMV and be on my merry way.

In a smaller town, where I didn't know the routines and habits of the police and where the biggest call they get in a day is "suspicious vehicle", I could not avoid getting pulled over repeatedly and 3 times by the same cop. I am now revoked with 4 or 5 offenses and screwed myself into $1000's worth of tickets, unable to get a ride anywhere cuz I don't know anyone up here and my ticket now has a mandatory court date.

The public defender wouldn't look at me twice becuz forfeitures in my state typically don't demand jail time but a police officer misinformed me on that one. I have no reason to go to trial because I knowingly did this to myself and that is evident but I've never entered a no contest plea and wondered what is was for.

asiny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I recently moved to a smaller city in WI that I grew up in. In the past, I would get one or two speeding tickets and let them go til I was suspended (cuz who has $300 to spare) then I would avoid easier routes around the times I knew the police would be around(plus they were busy chasing crackheads, domestic abusers or waiting for a DUI), let my tickets go to collection, then I would pay my reinstatement fee to the DMV and be on my merry way.

In a smaller town, where I didn't know the routines and habits of the police and where the biggest call they get in a day is "suspicious vehicle", I could not avoid getting pulled over repeatedly and 3 times by the same cop. I am now revoked with 4 or 5 offenses and screwed myself into $1000's worth of tickets, unable to get a ride anywhere cuz I don't know anyone up here and my ticket now has a mandatory court date.

The public defender wouldn't look at me twice becuz forfeitures in my state typically don't demand jail time but a police officer misinformed me on that one. I have no reason to go to trial because I knowingly did this to myself and that is evident but I've never entered a no contest plea and wondered what is was for.
Nice story- you realise that those prior tickets (that you happily decided not to pay), even though you paid the DMV for reinstatement, don't disappear from the WI court system?... you just settled with the DMV. The debt still exists with the courts.... just sitting in collections.

Enjoy court - and all the past fines you probably owe. I recommend you get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">