• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On Probation, Bad Speeding Ticket, Jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kokakola

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

STATE: CT

I am on probation for committing 2 Counts Burglary 3rd Degree, 2 Counts Larceny 3rd degree, 2 Counts Larceny 6th degree, 3 Counts Criminal Trespass 2nd degree, 3 Counts Criminal Mischief 3rd degree. All as by way of youthful offender. I was underage when committed crimes, while not in my right state of mind, then became an adult after. I was lucky.

Now I am on 3 years probation, 3 years suspended sentence. I am 2 years in, I have never violated probation in the past and am now on Unsupervised probation as of 6 months into probation. I had paid all my restitution, but am still working on my 200 hours community service.

I just recieved a speeding violation 14-219(c)(1) "SPEEDING: CAR, OVER 70MPH, LAH"
70mph in posted 30mph zone (Residential)

I had no idea I was being arrested at the time but after doing some research I noticed I had been. I have contacted my lawyer but it is the weekend. My court date is mid-next week. How should I go about this and am I looking at jail inevitably? Also I want to call it into probation office today and leave a message, what should I say, I have never dealt with the unsupervised probation department.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

STATE: CT

I am on probation for committing 2 Counts Burglary 3rd Degree, 2 Counts Larceny 3rd degree, 2 Counts Larceny 6th degree, 3 Counts Criminal Trespass 2nd degree, 3 Counts Criminal Mischief 3rd degree. All as by way of youthful offender. I was underage when committed crimes, while not in my right state of mind, then became an adult after. I was lucky.

Now I am on 3 years probation, 3 years suspended sentence. I am 2 years in, I have never violated probation in the past and am now on Unsupervised probation as of 6 months into probation. I had paid all my restitution, but am still working on my 200 hours community service.

I just recieved a speeding violation 14-219(c)(1) "SPEEDING: CAR, OVER 70MPH, LAH"
70mph in posted 30mph zone (Residential)

I had no idea I was being arrested at the time but after doing some research I noticed I had been. I have contacted my lawyer but it is the weekend. My court date is mid-next week. How should I go about this and am I looking at jail inevitably? Also I want to call it into probation office today and leave a message, what should I say, I have never dealt with the unsupervised probation department.
I'm a little confused. You had a speeding violation, and you say they arrested you on the spot, as in took you to jail? If not, then what research led you to believe that you had been "arrested"?

A speeding ticket alone usually doesn't get you arrested, unless it's considered a reckless driving issue, which moves you into misdemeanor territory usually - and you weren't charged with that.

If it was just a speeding ticket, then you will be receiving something in the mail that tells you how much of a fine you need to pay, and once you pay, you should be done with it.

I will, however, defer to our senior members who may have more to say on the matter.

kokakola

I'm a little confused. You had a speeding violation, and you say they arrested you on the spot, as in took you to jail? If not, then what research led you to believe that you had been "arrested"?

A speeding ticket alone usually doesn't get you arrested, unless it's considered a reckless driving issue, which moves you into misdemeanor territory usually - and you weren't charged with that.

If it was just a speeding ticket, then you will be receiving something in the mail that tells you how much of a fine you need to pay, and once you pay, you should be done with it.

I will, however, defer to our senior members who may have more to say on the matter.
He issued me a misdemeanor/violation slip which I had to sign. I have never got a speeding ticket before this, I had no idea what I was signing to be honest, but he was being very pushy and rushing me. I assumed everyone either paid or went to court, that's why he said I had to appear at court. Also he originally asked me if I had been arrested in the past and I think that's what got him on the edge more than just my outrageous speed. I kept saying, I wasn't sure if I had to answer it, but eventually he started guessing, arrested for dui, for speeding....he missed all but mine so I ended up telling him, because I felt like then I would be lying. Ugh, I have classes starting soon for summer, and I am freaking out. I really really really don't want to go to jail. I have already shunned my "college life" away to be sure that I would not violate probation and be sent to jail for 3 years. If only this forum has the emoticon that is bashing its head against a wall because that's me right now.

EDIT: Any idea how I should go about calling it in? I don't know them, I don't want police to come arrest me tonight...

Last edited:

sandyclaus

He issued me a misdemeanor/violation slip which I had to sign. I have never got a speeding ticket before this, I had no idea what I was signing to be honest, but he was being very pushy and rushing me. I assumed everyone either paid or went to court, that's why he said I had to appear at court. Also he originally asked me if I had been arrested in the past and I think that's what got him on the edge more than just my outrageous speed. I kept saying, I wasn't sure if I had to answer it, but eventually he started guessing, arrested for dui, for speeding....he missed all but mine so I ended up telling him, because I felt like then I would be lying. Ugh, I have classes starting soon for summer, and I am freaking out. I really really really don't want to go to jail. I have already shunned my "college life" away to be sure that I would not violate probation and be sent to jail for 3 years. If only this forum has the emoticon that is bashing its head against a wall because that's me right now.

EDIT: Any idea how I should go about calling it in? I don't know them, I don't want police to come arrest me tonight...
I seriously doubt they are going to come and arrest you. They don't come to your door and arrest you for speeding tickets.

Either your ticket shows a bail amount, or you will get that in the mail. You pay it by the due date (either at the courthouse, online-if an option, or by mail) and you're good to go. The people who go to court are either contesting a ticket or they are there on a more serious charge that requires a court appearance. What you have there ISN'T one of those charges.

As far as what you were given to sign, everyone is asked to sign a ticket to acknowledge they received it, and usually to promise to appear in court or pay the bail as indicated. You were probably acting so nervously that the officer asked you about your arrest record in order to appease his concerns about your behavior.

You can certainly call your probation officer anyway, if only to calm yourself. Although... I'm not entirely sure what happens when a probationer gets a speeding ticket, but I'm pretty sure it almost NEVER gets to a point where they violate you and send you to jail.

kokakola

I seriously doubt they are going to come and arrest you. They don't come to your door and arrest you for speeding tickets.

Either your ticket shows a bail amount, or you will get that in the mail. You pay it by the due date (either at the courthouse, online-if an option, or by mail) and you're good to go. The people who go to court are either contesting a ticket or they are there on a more serious charge that requires a court appearance. What you have there ISN'T one of those charges.

As far as what you were given to sign, everyone is asked to sign a ticket to acknowledge they received it, and usually to promise to appear in court or pay the bail as indicated. You were probably acting so nervously that the officer asked you about your arrest record in order to appease his concerns about your behavior.

You can certainly call your probation officer anyway, if only to calm yourself. Although... I'm not entirely sure what happens when a probationer gets a speeding ticket, but I'm pretty sure it almost NEVER gets to a point where they violate you and send you to jail.
I did not get a normal speeding ticket. It is a court summons. 14-219(c)(1) Bail is posted as WPTA, written promise to appear....I bet you knew that, I had to google.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You did NOT get arrested. I still have no idea why you think you did.

You received a misdemeanor complaint ticket. Signing it is simply acknowledging receipt and promising to appear in court.

Since you haven't been convicted of anything yet I would not notify anyone of anything until you are. The charge may very well be reduced to an infraction which doesn't mean very much - and I doubt that would affect you.

Very simple - speak to your attorney Monday and find out for sure. He would know best how this may or may not cause you problems. Don't do ANYTHING without speaking to your attorney first.

davew128

Since you haven't been convicted of anything yet I would not notify anyone of anything until you are. The charge may very well be reduced to an infraction which doesn't mean very much - and I doubt that would affect you.
Fairly certain that failure to inform a PO of ANY violation of law would constitute a probation violation.

kokakola

Fairly certain that failure to inform a PO of ANY violation of law would constitute a probation violation.
Ya that is true, it actually states that you should inform them of ANY arrests, or contact with law enforcement.

8. What do I do if I am arrested?
If you are arrested, charged with any offense, or have any police contact, notify your Probation Officer as soon as possible. You may do this in person or by telephone.

Source:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/adultprob.html

I called the monitoring service yesterday and informed them. They also had an older number which no one really answers which is not very good, I contacted them again informing them of the new number. No idea why my old probation officer had written down my house phone instead of my cell :confused:

Meeting with lawyer, will let you know the response.

Also, the officer had written only 14-219(c) on my ticket, but on the public pending cases it showed up as 14-219(c)(1) AND on a LAH, which I am almost positive it was not...and also he was going around a corner, as was I when he saw me, are police radars set up for a range of angles?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Meeting with lawyer, will let you know the response.
Yes, do that.

Also, the officer had written only 14-219(c) on my ticket, but on the public pending cases it showed up as 14-219(c)(1)
That is a non-issue.

...and also he was going around a corner, as was I when he saw me, are police radars set up for a range of angles?
That is not set up, but at typical distances the width of the beam is 60-80 feet. Most times the "angle" means nothing.

HighwayMan

Yes, probably. But he can certainly wait until Monday to consult his attorney. Probation may not even have anyone answering phones on the weekends. We usually can't reach anyone to report arrests over the weekend.

kokakola

Talked to probation today. He said to let him know what happens and that he would be surprised if I was actually "convicted" so I shouldn't worry about it.

Attorney is going to try to get it thrown away without going any further, most likely driver retraining, fine, suspension? Who knows, lawyers never give you what they "think" is going to actually happen, they like to "Well let me tell you about a past client,"

Let you guys know Wednesday, if I don't post by 3pm, I am in jail :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">