• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem from 15 year old ticket :/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dou.tommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

It is now 2008. Back in december 1994 I received some tickets on the long island espressway. I was definitely guilty of speeding, but thats it. I was driving back to the buffalo area that evening.

Well, as is the way (or I wouldn't need to be typing a message here now), I screwed up and the tickets were destroyed. I called the state dmv and explained this. They told me that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to just wait until I got something in the mail and then deal with it. So sometime in 1995 that happened. It was a suspension notice for failing to deal with the tickets. So I went ahead and dealt with the tickets and my suspension was lifted. Then a few years later I was suspended again. The biggest beef was having to prove that I had insurance since I didn't have the card in the car with me. So, anyway, I had it taken care of and the suspension was lifted again. Then a few years later it happened again. Same as before.

Finally it stopped happening. Now I have moved to North Carolina and found that I am on the national do not drive registry and as such cannot drive.

Here is what happened. Apparently, I was talking care or my obligation to the state, but not to the township where it occured. I never knew.

So now I know, but here is the new situation. The biggest part of the fines is for the insurance card. I called the insurance company and they say they don't have records going back that far. It's not a matter of administrative fees, they simply do not have the info. Since this dates back to 1994, the township wants like 6000 dollars. It might as well be 60,000 since I just don't have it.

I am thinking there has to be something I can do. This garbage is from 1994. I do need to be able to drive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">