• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedural Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sleww

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Okay, This morning I was driving into work. There is a mile long hill that has about a 11.5 degree slop. The speed limit is 45 Mph but you will regularly see people doing 60 MPH(while breaking) down the hill. I was in a line of 3 cars and was doing about 55MPH. The other cars behind me were riding me close when out of nowhere this cop pulls out of a private driveway, passes the other cars and pulls me over. He writes I was going 62 in a 45 which pushed me 1 MPH over the limit for a larger fine. Then he writes me a ticket because my bike rack was blocking part of my license plate. There were no physical parts of the rack obstructing the plate, there were some tie downs dangling. This area is known for speed trapping and has been an issue before even making it on the news. He also only gave me 3 days to pay the fines or I go to court. What should I do. Is there any way to fight the manner in which I was pulled over. Did the officer violate and procedures during this incident?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

OHRoadwarrior

Use better judgement when going through areas you know are speed traps and learn how to install your bike rack, so that it does not cause you to violate other laws. You can fight it, however, you probably won't win. The court has already "sanctioned" the method police use to enforce the law in your area. Sounds like he followed the law, from what you said.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The 11.5 degree "slop" (sic) doesn't mean anything - you are expected to obey posted signs and control your vehicle to the extent necessary to maintain the correct speed.

I'm not sure what you're actually questioning here.

Sleww

I was questioning how he was parked while "using his radar". If i cant see him how could he have gotten a clocked speed from me?

FlyingRon

I was questioning how he was parked while "using his radar". If i cant see him how could he have gotten a clocked speed from me?
You believe if you couldn't see him, he can't see you? Perhaps you should wrap a towel around your head.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You believe if you couldn't see him, he can't see you? Perhaps you should wrap a towel around your head.
OP needs to take a defensive driving course and also read the owner's manual for his car. He doesn't understand the concept of driving more slowly (or how to accomplish it.)

ETA: Check out his other thread for more info. https://forum.freeadvice.com/job-discrimination-harassment-30/police-officers-ethics-question-560199.html

Last edited:

Sleww

OP needs to take a defensive driving course and also read the owner's manual for his car. He doesn't understand the concept of driving more slowly (or how to accomplish it.)

ETA: Check out his other thread for more info.
Youre a troll im probably younger then you which makes me happy since you'll likely die long before me. Enjoy the remaining time you have left. i look forward to a world without you

Sleww

true

but then why would the speed that he "clocked" me at and the speed on the ticket be different. he must have better radar in his head while he faces away from me. Plus if you knew the area you would be able to tell there was no way he clocked anything

Silverplum

Youre a troll im probably younger then you which makes me happy since you'll likely die long before me. Enjoy the remaining time you have left. i look forward to a world without you
Do you have tantrums every time you're told you're incorrect? :eek:

The Occultist

he must have better radar in his head
Funny you say that. See, when an officer is trained on RADAR, he is actually trained on how to visually estimate speeds, not to operate the device (which is essentially point the device towards the object). The device is there to merely serve as a confirmation of what the officer already knows due to his training (and this is accepted because the certification includes quite the involved test procedure to prove that he can visually estimate speeds).

Anyways, this doesn't help you now, but it certainly will in the future: use lower gears for downgrades so as to utilize the engine break to control your speed as well as to improve your torque so as to improve your control of the vehicle (braking causes the forces on your vehicle to shift to the front, leaving you less able to steer properly as there is nothing securing the back end of your vehicle).

Something that will help you now: lose the attitude. This site is full of volunteers. Nobody is getting paid to take time out of their lives to assist you. Just because an answer is not the one you want to hear does not mean that it is incorrect. Continuing any sort of attitude will serve to prevent anybody (or at least the people whose insights you actually need) from offering you any assistance.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Okay, This morning I was driving into work. There is a mile long hill that has about a 11.5 degree slop. The speed limit is 45 Mph but you will regularly see people doing 60 MPH(while breaking) down the hill. I was in a line of 3 cars and was doing about 55MPH. The other cars behind me were riding me close when out of nowhere this cop pulls out of a private driveway, passes the other cars and pulls me over. He writes I was going 62 in a 45 which pushed me 1 MPH over the limit for a larger fine. Then he writes me a ticket because my bike rack was blocking part of my license plate. There were no physical parts of the rack obstructing the plate, there were some tie downs dangling. This area is known for speed trapping and has been an issue before even making it on the news. He also only gave me 3 days to pay the fines or I go to court. What should I do.
Pay the fines. You admit you were doing exactly what you were ticketed for....

Is there any way to fight the manner in which I was pulled over.
Nope. It was perfectly legal. In my community we have one of those trees with all those dangling viney branches...Our LEOs will sometimes hide under there to encourage compliance (i.e., speedtrap) with the posted speed limit.

Did the officer violate and procedures during this incident?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Nope.

Would you like to avoid this in the future? I can tell you how....Always drive as if an officer were behind you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">