• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prohibited turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Geoffro

Ticket is a 2 point CI for violation of local ordinance 5.33 Prohibited turn in Clawson Michigan

I turned left out of a Taco Bell on to the main road. Apparently there are no left turns allowed. I didn't see any sign saying no left turn. Also, can there be an ordinance prohibiting left turns from a private property??

Thanks,

Geoffro

V

Vincent Cosent

You answered your own question!

local ordinance 5.33 go to pd and ask to see it.

Geoffro

I guess I didn't ask the question correctly... :D

I realize there is an existing ordinance and that I can go see it at the police station.

What I'm asking is is it legal for cities to enact an ordinance prohibiting a left turn from a private property?

racer72

All laws and ordinances apply to anywhere open to the general public, including Taco Bell parking lots.

V

Vincent Cosent

If you had let the cop know

that you are from out of town he might have let it go.Why do you think this ordinance was enacted?No sign and being from out of town might cause the judge to dismiss the ticket.

racer72

Mr. Cosent, your response makes no sense. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I have yet to see a traffic ticket dismissed based on your premise. The poster presents no evidence that the ticket was not warranted and should be dismissed.

Geoffro

racer72 said:
Mr. Cosent, your response makes no sense. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I have yet to see a traffic ticket dismissed based on your premise. The poster presents no evidence that the ticket was not warranted and should be dismissed.
I went back at lunch time today and checked, there is NO sign saying no left turn. I will fight this ticket because of this. Had there been a sign I would just pay the ticket and move on.

The officer stated that they are on a "task force" to stop people from making this turn. Apparently, there have been numerous accidents from people turning left there.

Geoffro

racer72 said:
All laws and ordinances apply to anywhere open to the general public, including Taco Bell parking lots.
I'm not disputing this so please don't think I'm questioning you...

Many years ago while I was a manager at a McDonalds, any accidents that happened in our parking lot were to be handled between parties. The police would do nothing including not writing up a police report. Their reason was that it was on private property. This may have changed since this was 15 years ago.

I just don't see how a city can have an ordinance that prohibits left turns from a private property.

Regardless, I have other support now that I see there is no sign stating that it's no left turn.

V

Vincent Cosent

racer72

where have you been?
Some cops are reasonable people.
I personally have had this experience so ill tell you.
Years ago I was visiting my grandmother in Chicago and found myself going down a one way street in the wrong direction just as a police officer happened on me.I explained that I dont live in Chicago and made a wrong turn onto a one way street and guess what ? no ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">