• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promise to Appear for a Speeding Ticket. Dont think I was speeding. What will happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lamperouge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi. I have to go to court about 300 miles away tomorrow afternoon for a "Promise to Appear" in court for a speeding citation I received 2 months ago. I've gotten one speeding ticket before, but I never had to go to court, only pay it online.

He said I was going a 50 in a 30, but I'm pretty sure I wasnt speeding. It's the slight chance I took my eyes away for a split second is what worries me though.. I was visiting a friend, I didnt know the area. It was about 11pm at night on a long old 2 lane road. I know for a fact I was going way under the limit (Had to wait for my GPS to find my Home), then I sped up to the speed limit because I had gotten it working. When I was pulled over, I was in a 55mph-zone and was going 50mph. I was confused as to why I was pulled over. He then told me I was going a 50mph in a 30. About 2 miles back was the 30 mph limit sign and 1 mile back was a 50 mph sign, and I was sitting after a 55mph sigh had came up. I remembered all the signs. Its hard to believe he followed me for 2 miles. A car even passed me about a minute before I saw his lights!! Could it have been him?

Anyways, what will happen tomorrow? I have 3 questions hopefully you guys can help me out with.

1.) I know that if the cop doesnt show up, your ticket is dismissed (brother got a ticket in the same area, his was dismissed) But is 'notice to appear court date' that moment? Or is it the OFFICIAL court date moment where if he doesnt show up, then its dismissed it?

2.) Anyways, can anyone explain what will happen tomorrow? I've Never been to court before.

3.) If I plead not guilty, and by some chance for a split second, he finds I was speeding, do I lose the right to do defensive driving? It was 11pm at night on a one lane of traffic road, 2 miles away from the limit sign, in a place ive never been before. Im hoping I can make a case.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

well, im open to all possibilities. I'm not closed minded. I'm going to fight it, as I'm sure I wasn't speeding. But just wanted to be more sure of what rights I had. I want to be aware of all scenarios, worst case also.

If I fight it, will I give up the right to defensive driving?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well, im open to all possibilities. I'm not closed minded. I'm going to fight it, as I'm sure I wasn't speeding. But just wanted to be more sure of what rights I had. I want to be aware of all scenarios, worst case also.

If I fight it, will I give up the right to defensive driving?
What PROOF do you have that you weren't speeding?

The Occultist

Yes, often times once you decide to fight a ticket, the option to attend traffic school is removed from the table. I might call the court and ask them if this is a typical practice there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">