• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protest the tix and change the court date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotcoaldance

from California
Hello.
I received a moving citation for crossing the painted lines between the lane and the ramp as I was trying to exit the freeway. It was a 'last moment choice', and my left tires did run over the painted lines that delimit the shoulder. I guess that is a violation. I looked if it were a safe manouver, though. I was thinking to contest the ticket.
If I admit guilt I stand no chance to have my ticket erased, right? I have heard about the chance to have my case dismissed if the officer cannot show at court. I would try that card.
(It was a ridiculous petty opportunity to give me a ticket, really). During a former traffic school course I attended a long time ago, the teacher mentioned that I could protest the citation, ask for a Court appointment, then change the date at the last minute (when is the closest time to the appointment I can change my appointment?) and often for the officer is too much of a hussle to show up and the case gets dismissed...
Does this seem a viable way? What exactly should I attempt ? Make a date, change it (when?)...should I try to change it again?
I have more time than money, right now. I'm unemployed, and sick of cops chasing silly violations to punish. That's no way to collect funds for the common good.
thanks for helping....What is the name of your state?

cepe10

The trial by declaration is another route - the ticket does seem very tick tacky - if you vehicle passed over some section of dotted lines I believe that is enough for reasonable doubt to kick in

I agree on the funds collection:) I just had the ($200) bumper lights stolen off my car - the state police would not even take the complaint -said they would pass it on.... apparently generating revenue though tickets has a much higher priority that crimes like theft with actual victims:)

seven53

Although it may seem like a silly ticket, it is valid. Your best bet is going to court to explain to the judge that you made the move safely and explain why. Ask for leniancy and you may get a reduced fine or points if the court allows.

As far as changing the date and all....Not going to work. Offciers receive real good overtime pay to come to court (if it's their day off) to testify. If they miss court, they are punished (time off w/o pay) plus could be found in comtempt. Officers do not miss court, thats an urban legend. Also, to change your court date will cost money as the court charges for continuancies.

hotcoaldance

ok, got it. thank you

Thank you so much for the advice, it is very very useful for me. I guess I'll be a proper citizen, and not a clueless rebel. I'll make my case in front of a judge, even though I do not have much hope to get satisfaction. I hate to cost money to the community, but I don't mind having the chance to voice my complaint ...I bet the 'community' shares my feelings!!
Thank you both for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">