• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proving running red light.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williamian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I had a car crash , my first, with another car and am told i ran a red light. The driver said i ran the light and the driver of the car behind me as well. This would seem to be a slam dunk on me running the red but i still can not believe i did. This intersection fad no cameras i was told the the responding officer but i later found out they had the blue light indicators above the traffic lights and wanted to now if they could determine if someone ran a red in a particular time frame?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I had a car crash , my first, with another car and am told i ran a red light. The driver said i ran the light and the driver of the car behind me as well. This would seem to be a slam dunk on me running the red but i still can not believe i did. This intersection fad no cameras i was told the the responding officer but i later found out they had the blue light indicators above the traffic lights and wanted to now if they could determine if someone ran a red in a particular time frame?
There is an impartial, unbiased witness that says you ran the red.

Mass_Shyster

What are "blue light indicators"?

Proseguru

I doubt the witnesses would even show up to court ... I wouldn't. I would be more concerned with my civil stuff than this, if I was an injured party.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Who said anything about court?

The insurance companies involved will assign blame according to the statement of the independent witness. No court has to get involved. The OP made no mention of receiving any traffic tickets or having to adjudicate anything in court.

williamian

Proving i ran a red.

Thanks, but none of this really answers my question.

Yes, i received a ticket for running the red and no i do not have to go to court unless i choose that route or the people i hit decide they have grounds for some sort of civil case but as i am considered at fault because i supposedly ran the red my insurance will most likely go up.

Luckily for all involved there were no injuries reported at the time of the accident, just car damage, minor for me, major for them, but you never can tell what may pop up after the fact, real or not.

A claim has already been sent to my insurance company so that part is well under way.

Again i simply need to know if the driver, who honest or not, would be foolish not to say i ran the red and the driver who was right behing me who also says i ran the red are enough, or if i have a chance to beat it.

Obviously i do not want my insurance to go up and am trying to find proof positive i ran the red, hence the blue indicator lights above the traffic lights.

From what i can tell, my research tells me they turn blue whenever a traffic light turns red and anyone running a red will send a signal to any police car in any direction in a certain radius.

I just need to find out if that happened and i did not think to ask or the officers that responded recorded me or any car running a red in the time frame of the accident.

While i still have to go to the courthouse/police station to follow up on this it was my hope that someone with legal experience may be able to offer any info or suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what i can tell, my research tells me they turn blue whenever a traffic light turns red and anyone running a red will send a signal to any police car in any direction in a certain radius.
That "signal" would be the blue light emanating from the device. There is no record made, it is purely a visual indicator (just like the red light)

As was pointed out previously, the impartial, unbiased witness to the accident who says you ran the red is going to be what sinks you. Even per your own admission, you don't know if you ran it. You don't believe you did, but you don't know.

HomeGuru

That "signal" would be the blue light emanating from the device. There is no record made, it is purely a visual indicator (just like the red light)

As was pointed out previously, the impartial, unbiased witness to the accident who says you ran the red is going to be what sinks you. Even per your own admission, you don't know if you ran it. You don't believe you did, but you don't know.
**A: that's my point. The OP is on the losing side.

williamian

Proving i ran a red.

That is what i thought, and it is true, i very well may have ran that red, sorry to say.

Thank you for confirming what i thought.

HomeGuru

We're curious; how could you not know if you ran the red or not?
Is this a case of inattentive driving? Were texting, scolding kids, daydreaming.....?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">