• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Provisional Licence DL (Please help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zipper7

What is the name of your state? NJ

I got pulled over a few nights ago, and received a provisional license ticket for driving between the hours of 12am-5am. The time was 4:46am when I was pulled over, I am 18 years old turning 19 soon, and have had the provisional license for over a year (I couldn't upgrade to basic because I'm living on campus in college, no time.) My brother was sitting next to me in the passenger's seat he is 22 and has had a license for 5 years.

So I'm headed to court in a couple weeks, and I'm pretty scared I don't know what to expect. I hope I don't get points/suspended license because I really need to get a job this summer to pay the bills. What should I tell the prosecutor before my hearing? What should I expect happen to me?

Any help would be great, thank you.

The Occultist

How close you were to hitting the appropriate time doesn't really matter. Legally, you don't have much to stand on here. My advice is to show absolute remorse, and to bring your clean driving record to court with you, and hope your sob story falls on a sympathetic ear.

MadinMaine

What were you pulled over for? The officer couldn't know you had a provisional license.... he had to have a reason for pulling you over in the first place. The ticket will probably hold because even tho it was only 4:46 you really would have still been driving at 5pm unless you were only a few feet from your driveway. However, if you were minutes from your destination then I'd tell that to the Judge because you were NOT YET in violation and could have made it home (or wherever) in time.

Occultist is right though, the best bet (easiest, cheapest and the one with the least angst) is probably to throw yourself on the mercy of the court in the most humble and respectful way you can.

Good luck,
MIM

Zipper7

I got pulled over because I backed up out of a parking lot and hit a parked car behind me, it's not as bad you think though. No damage done at all no scratch nothing, no car alarm etc. the owner did not press charges. The cop was an ******* to me but I don't care about that I had it coming I guess, the cop wanted the person to press charges on me but the guy refused to. My friends in the car wanted me to report the cop for his unprofessional attitude but that won't get me anywhere. Yea sure the cop called me an ******* and yelled at me a little bit, but trying to flip this on the cop won't solve anything. I just want to get out of this with a fine and no suspension/points on my license.

Should I get a basic license before my court date and show the prosecutor that I have one?

Last edited:

MadinMaine

Should I get a basic license before my court date and show the prosecutor that I have one?
It can't hurt that's for sure. Also, how far were you from your destination? [deleted this part because I misread your provisions...thought you had to be BACK by 5 ..]

MIM

Zipper7

Literally 3 blocks from the destination. I was pulling out of a diner parking lot.

I'm thinking I'll tell the prosecutor that I'm supposed to have my basic license since february, but just didn't have time to grab it because of college, and I'll grab it before my case to show him/her it. You think I should add all the other stuff about time/passanger/destination?

Also what should I expect punishment wise, it says municipal court so I don't think its a county court. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">