• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over in a caravan of cars.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dvldoc

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma but the ticket was in Kansas.

I'm in a nation car club and we were headed back home from Kansas City we had 9 cars in our group total at the time of the ticket.

We were headed down I-35 south and we were pulled over just before the turnpike toll booth. The Highway patrol set up a road block and pulled us over as a group and waived over two other that were a few miles behind us to pull over so they could be ticketed.

The officer walked over to all the cars and told us they pulled us over because they had us on radar going 92 miles per hour in a 70. We we going around 75mph when we were pulled over and had been going this speed almost the whole time.

The officer claimed that they had been following us for miles and had it on video. If that was true they would show us going less than 8mph max over the speed limit and cars passing us for at least 30 miles.

The officer gave us all a ticket for 92 in a70 but when questioned what car did he clock on radar he could not and would not give us a answer we asked to see the radar but he declined.

The officer pulled us over at 1258 past mile marker 57 but wrote on all the tickets 1221 and mile marker 37 so they we questioned the officer why we were getting a ticket for something that supposedly happend 20 miles and 20 minutes later. And marked on all the tickets the speed was determined by radar.

We video taped the whole thing including every thing the officer said and did.

I specificaly ask the officer while he was being taped (did you at anytime clock my vehicle going 92mph?) his answer was no. And I then ask then why am I getting a ticket? He would not answer the question and told me to just sign the ticket it was not a admition of guilt and I had to take care of it in court.

Everone question the officer on which car was clocked speeding. No reply from the officer. I guess he forgot about the video camera. Most of the guys are from TX and don't want to have to pay a lawyer or the bogus ticket or drive to Kansas to go to court.

Can anyone tell me is what the officer did is illegal. How can you issue someone a ticket when you don't by your own addmision have them in anyway shape or form on radar speading and pulling them over 20 miles down the road while cars are passing us left and right, Ignoring all speeders on the highway and consentration on us. And purposely writing down the wrong time and place of the ticket. We all kept our toll receits to prove the time.

Help us please.

JETX

Q1) "Can anyone tell me is what the officer did is illegal."
A1) Though rare, it is not illegal to pull over multiple cars, especially considering that you were all 'caravaning'. The assumption would be that if one car was speeding, all the cars were. And that is why you got pulled over in 'batch'.

Q2) "How can you issue someone a ticket when you don't by your own addmision have them in anyway shape or form on radar speading and pulling them over 20 miles down the road while cars are passing us left and right, Ignoring all speeders on the highway and consentration on us."
A2) How can you?? Easily. Will it stand the scrutiny of court? Won't know until you try.

Q3) "And purposely writing down the wrong time and place of the ticket. We all kept our toll receits to prove the time."
A3) Again, your story seems very strange as to the time and location. I would love to hear the other side. And since you state that you videotaped the entire scene, you might just get a chance to show that tape in court.

R

RivMan

You damn Grand Prix people.... Giving all of us a bad name!

;)

Hope you guys can get it take care of!

-Rob

D

dvldoc

My question about the officer did was legal is that the fact that iyour in a caravan does not mean you are are travaling the same speed there were many times were there were cars in front, between and beside us on the way back. And just because your following someone does not force your car by the laws of physics to go the exact same speed as them. Or if one car in the group speed up to pass someone or accelerated at anytime does not force me to go any faster. I didn't know the law was based on assumption and speculation.

Like I said in my post I was the car in the rear and I ask the officer did he clock me at anytime going 92 mph his awswer was no.

And yes they wrote the ticket for 1221 and at mile marker 31 when we were pulled over 20 miles down the road just past the overpass by the turnpike toll both with is clearly visible in along with the turnpike time at the both in the video. Is putting down the wrong place and time of the ticket legal. To try to make it look you were pulled over just as the alleged speeding violation took place.

And is this ticket fightable in court on my own. I'm in the militariy and I don't have much time left here since we will be deploying next month and I don't want my insurace to spike up for a bogus ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">