• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over? For failing to stop at a stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eliza.beth.90

Point Roberts, WA (Whatcom County)

I passed and intersection and drove down the block to the gas station and was about to get out when a cop walked up to my car to tell me what I did wrong. I was confused as he did not pull me over or stop me - rather he came up to me (his vehicle was not directly behind or following either) to tell me what he saw (failed to make a complete stop at the sign at the intersection).

Does this constitute for an 'illegal' (or however you put it) traffic stop?? It was out of the blue because he walked over and didn't stop me after I failed to make a complete stop. Shouldn't he have pulled me over while I was moving and in the car?

Last edited:

Proserpina

I passed and intersection and drove down the block to the gas station and was about to get out when a cop walked up to my car to tell me what I did wrong. I was confused as he did not pull me over or stop me - rather he came up to me (his vehicle was not directly behind or following either) to tell me what he saw (failed to make a complete stop at the sign at the intersection).

Does this constitute for an 'illegal' (or however you put it) traffic stop?? It was out of the blue because he walked over and didn't stop me after I failed to make a complete stop. Shouldn't he have pulled me over while I was moving and in the car?

It's a legitimate stop.

You just made his job a little easier, that's all.

sandyclaus

What makes you think this would be an "illegal" traffic stop? Can you cite the statute that requires an officer to pull you over right when and where the violation happens?

If you're thinking that giving you the ticket down the street from the place where you did it is somehow illegal, you'd be mistaken. Perhaps it wasn't the safest location to stop you and get out of his vehicle. Perhaps he felt that the gas station was a better and safer place, for the both of you.

If you ran the stop sign, you ran the stop sign - and you deserve the ticket for doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">