• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pulled over in NJ w/ suspended PA license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yugy

I was recently pulled over in NJ with a suspended PA license due to a DUI in PA. my suspension is over at the end of the month and i am currently in the ARD program in PA. I thought I would be arrested on the spot, but instead I got a few tickets. My question is: will Penndot realize I was driving in NJ with a suspended license and suspend my license even further? Also, Does this have any bearing on my ARD? Thanks.

FlyingRon

It certainly does have bearing on your ARD probation. It's almost certainly a violation of the probation and can result in ARD being terminated and the original DUI penalty and the sanctions (which will almost certainly involve more suspension, quite separate from that you were already serving).

It's incomprehensible when the commonwealth gives you a free pass at dodging misdemeanor charges you should decide to thumb your finger at the opportunity.

yugy

Is there anything I can do to avoid being booted out of the ARD program? I am a med student in NJ and I have no other way to get to school. If I am booted from the ARD program I may be expelled from school. A friend of mine told me I may be safe since I got the tix in NJ. Should I pay them right away or try to get them thrown out?

FlyingRon

You're got a strong possibility of getting kicked out then. Further, your criminal record may cause problems for you when you try to get the state medical boards to license anyhow. If this is important to you (and it seems that it is), I'd contact a lawyer rather than either relying on this board or advice from friends. Frankly, I'd consult two. One to see if there is anyway to beat the ticket in NJ (unlikely) and to figure out what to do about your ARD probation.

You're in serious problems for continued criminal activity as well as violation of the probation. I think you may need to call your mother and tell her there are serious doubts about you becoming a doctor.

Which school? Both Johnson and NJMS are quite well connected by public transport. I used to be a university administrator at Rutgers. Geez, your ARD suspension was what only 30-60 days...why risk it.

Last edited:

Maestro64

Generally speaking PA does not recognize tickets issued in NJ, I am not sure if NJ even bothers reporting tickets to PA anymore because for the most part unless you kill someone or have a DUI in other state or do not pay the ticket PA takes no action against you based on tickets written in another state.

Did the NJ officer know your license was suspended, if so I am kind of surprised they did not take immediate action against you. If not then who know what will happen.

If NJ does report it back to PA and PA makes the connection those tickets were issue while on a suspended license you're probably looking at another suspension. No one can answer whether the states are that affective at lining up dates and making the connection.

Now if NJ knows you were on a suspended license it is probably a safe bet NJ will notify PA that you were caught in NJ on a suspended license.

I am guessing you and the Lawyer for your DUI was unsuccessful at getting you a restricted license to allow you to attend school. They do that sometimes.

Last edited:

yugy

result

Thought I should let you know what happened since I started the thread. I went to court and 2 out of the 3 tickets were dropped and all I had to do was pay a fine for the "driving with suspended license" ticket. My license was restored and PA was not notified of anything. I guess newark has worse things to worry about, looks like I was panicking for nothing; you got me worrying there flyingron. thanks for all the input everyone!

I_Got_Banned

Thought I should let you know what happened since I started the thread. I went to court and 2 out of the 3 tickets were dropped and all I had to do was pay a fine for the "driving with suspended license" ticket. My license was restored and PA was not notified of anything. I guess newark has worse things to worry about, looks like I was panicking for nothing; you got me worrying there flyingron. thanks for all the input everyone!
Paying for the "driving with a suspended license" violation, means you were convicted/found guilty... Which may also mean that NJ can report the matter to PA which might also suggest that PA will find out that you were driving while suspended...

Both NJ & PA are members in the DLC and the NRVC here is a link: http://www.aamva.org/KnowledgeCenter/Driver/Compacts/

Your problems might not be over yet!

yugy

The prosecuter ammended it to a lesser charge and told me I should be ok after I explained my situation. She was in a very giving mood that morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">