• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pulled over out of jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linuxbox

PA- I was pulled over for being "paced at over 100mph for over two miles". He said he couldn't clock me. The stated location on the citation is a different jurisdiction from that which he pulled me over in. Does that nulify it?

Is there any argument I could use when I go to court?

Last edited:

racer72

PA- I was pulled over for being "paced at over 100mph for over two miles". He said he couldn't clock me. The stated location on the citation is a different jurisdiction from that which he pulled me over in. Does that nulify it?
You watched too much Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. The simple answer is no. Why would the officer write a ticket if that was all it would take to have it dismissed?

Plead temporary insanity.

linuxbox

Racer72, I'm 19, Dukes of Hazzard was way before my time. And I'm glad you took the time to point out nothing that would help. :)

linuxbox

In that case THANK YOU!! I love posting a legitmate question, then being flamed, and having another back him up to gain respect. :) I'll probably just figure out the exact math and prove that he could not have even been behind me for anything near two miles. I need to find out the 0-60 of a police crown vic...

racer72

I love watching twits like you making asses of themselves in court. Also, I was serious about the temporary insanity plea, it is as good an excuse as any you will come up with.

CdwJava

linuxbox said:
In that case THANK YOU!! I love posting a legitmate question, then being flamed, and having another back him up to gain respect. :) I'll probably just figure out the exact math and prove that he could not have even been behind me for anything near two miles. I need to find out the 0-60 of a police crown vic...
Gee ... two miles at 100+ ... hmm ... not very long ... that means he followed you for, what? A minute and 12 seconds or something?

So, your defense is going to be that you were going SOOOO fast, that he could not have possibly kept up with you? Just how is that supposed to work to your benefit? :confused:

In any event, be prepared for him to testify that he was behind you in excess of 100 MPH and he was either unable to close the gap or was barely closing the gap. I suppose you can always plead guilty to doing 80 or 90 and settle the matter quickly.

Oh, and depending on the specific package and mods installed, the acceleration for the standard police package from 0 - 60 seconds is at a high end of about 8.7 seconds, I believe.

- Carl

Last edited:

CdwJava

linuxbox said:
Oh I meant 0-100, I think I found a chart that shows it to be around 20-25 seconds..
From personal experience, I think it's less than that. I'd say closer to 15.

Again, so what? What will that prove? Other than showing that you were speeding, what on Earth will it prove to try and demonstrate that the officer could not keep up with you!?

- Carl

sgtdanmurphy

Sounds like we have a candidate for the new dumber and dumbest movie.
Who Curt or Racer??? I forgot they already are on the list! Beyond the flaming both should be on the biggest blockheads law enforcement can find list....

Op you can find a better defense line though. although the LEO is obviously winging it, you need a better line of questioning and perhaps invest in a lawyer to represent you as it may be well worth it.

cepe10

Attack the evidence - always the weakest link. In PA the requirements are provided by statute and are very clear. When the LEO shows up and can not produce the speedometer certification being done within 60 days prior - then that may be a big break for you...

Also not a photocopy is not acceptable - only a certified original and evidence that the testing station is authorized is also required.

§ 3368. Speed timing devices.

(a) Speedometers authorized.--The rate of speed of any vehicle may be timed on any highway by a police officer using a motor vehicle equipped with a speedometer. In ascertaining the speed of a vehicle by the use of a speedometer, the speed shall be timed for a distance of not less than three-tenths of a mile.

(b) Testing of speedometers.--The department may appoint stations for testing speedometers and may prescribe regulations as to the manner in which the test shall be made. Speedometers shall have been tested for accuracy within a period of 60 days prior to the alleged violation. A certificate from the station showing that the test was made, the date of the test and the degree of accuracy of the speedometer shall be competent and prima facie evidence of those facts in every proceeding in which a violation of this title is charged.

(c) Mechanical, electrical and electronic devices authorized.--

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the rate of speed of any vehicle may be timed on any highway by a police officer using a mechanical or electrical speed timing device.
2. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (3), electronic devices such as radio-microwave devices (commonly referred to as electronic speed meters or radar) may be used only by members of the Pennsylvania State Police.
3. Electronic devices which calculate speed by measuring elapsed time between measured road surface points by using two sensors and devices which measure and calculate the average speed of a vehicle between any two points may be used by any police officer.
4. No person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraphs (2) and (3) unless the speed recorded is six or more miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. Furthermore, no person may be convicted upon evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) in an area where the legal speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour if the speed recorded is less than ten miles per hour in excess of the legal speed limit. This paragraph shall not apply to evidence obtained through the use of devices authorized by paragraph (3) within a school zone.

(d) Classification, approval and testing of mechanical, electrical and electronic devices.--The department may, by regulation, classify specific devices as being mechanical, electrical or electronic. All mechanical, electrical or electronic devices shall be of a type approved by the department, which shall appoint stations for calibrating and testing the devices and may prescribe regulations as to the manner in which calibrations and tests shall be made. The certification and calibration of electronic devices under subsection (c)(3) shall also include the certification and calibration of all equipment, timing strips and other devices which are actually used with the particular electronic device being certified and calibrated. The devices shall have been tested for accuracy within a period of 60 days prior to the alleged violation. A certificate from the station showing that the calibration and test were made within the required period, and that the device was accurate, shall be competent and prima facie evidence of those facts in every proceeding in which a violation of this title is charged.

(e) Distance requirements for use of mechanical, electrical and electronic devices.--Mechanical, electrical or electronic devices may not be used to time the rate of speed of vehicles within 500 feet after a speed limit sign indicating a decrease of speed. This limitation on the use of speed timing devices shall not apply to speed limit signs indicating school zones, bridge and elevated structure speed limits, hazardous grade speed limits and work zone speed limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">