• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over in PA over RR crossing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paquestion

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

Hello, I have been looking over these forums, and I can't seem to find anything close to what happened to me. I just have a few questions and would appreciate any help.

Here is what happened - I was driving home from the movies - I had met a friend at a theater that was in an area I am not familiar with. It was almost midnight, and the area was not a very safe one. I was lost, and attempting to read street signs, and went through a Railroad crossing with the lights on, no gates down yet. I did not even realize I had done this - had I seen the lights - I would DEFINITELY have stopped.

I wasn't speeding, stopped at two stops signs after, used my turn signals, and stopped at a light - again using turn signals and following traffic laws. I realize that I am at fault - but I didn't do this with intent - and it is my first offense.

The policeman was very rude to me - insulted me several times - and refused to give me the ticket. He said I would receive it in the mail - and "suggested I do something about it" or else there would be a warrant out for my arrest. I am 26 years old, have no prior violations - and really have no idea what happens next. I have no idea what my citation will actually be for. I also should add - I was very apologetic, and polite. I honestly had no idea why I was being pulled over.

I guess my questions are:
1. How much of a fine does something like this run?

2. How many points on my license?

3. Is going to court to try to have it reduced any possibility?

4. Can an officer refuse to give you a ticket when you ask for it?

I really appreciate your help. Like I said - this is a first - and I really have no idea what happens next. I didn't know that you could be pulled over and not given a ticket at the time of the incident, especially after asking for it. Is this a common practice?

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">