• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pulled over using VASCAR in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigduntdawg

When I was driving home (I am from CT) through NC, my radar detector was going off. Of course, I slowed down and as i turned the corner i saw a state trooper in the left near the median with his radar on. I was going about the speed limit and naturally slowed more as I passed the cop. About one minute down the road, i saw his red and blue lights flashing and my radar detector was silent. The officer said he clocked me going 85 in a 65. When i asked how he clocked me, he said they use VASCAR. I am pretty sure I was picked out based on my out of state license plates since I was going with traffic. Is there something I can do to refute VASCAR? If someone could please help me with some advice, because I was told I may get my license suspended in NC. (By the way, i was given a summons, not a fine)
-Thanks!

Last edited:

Curt581

bigduntdawg said:
I was going about the speed limit and naturally accelerated as I passed the cop. About one minute down the road, i saw his red and blue lights flashing and my radar detector was silent. The officer said he clocked me going 85 in a 65.
If you're going the speed limit, and see a cop, why in God's name would you accelerate?

You weren't picked out because of your license plates. You were picked out because you accelerated.
Is there something I can do to refute VASCAR?
No. VASCAR is nothing more that a fancy stop watch. You were timed between two fixed points, over a known measured distance. The time it took to pass those points is calculated to give your speed.

As a side note, your radar detector sitting on the dash probably guaranteed you a ticket. It's presence shows a predisposition to speed.

efflandt

I got pulled over in Wisconsin once for a wee bit over the speed 55 speed limit at that time, clocked by a plane. I asked "What is it VASCAR?" And he said, "No, VASCAR plus." Fortunately they were just testing it, so he just gave me a warning.

Don't expect your radar detector to help you when there are white lines on the road or shoulder and officers on bridges, on-ramps, or in airplanes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">