• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over very far from home for speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ra34fan

Hello, I live in Glendale, CA (near Los Angeles) and go to school in Berkeley (near San Francisco).

I was recently pulled over for doing 85 in a 70 on the 101 South freeway in Monterey County and was also charged with having tint on my front windows (VC 22356 and VC 26708 respectively). I would like to go to court for various reasons (mainly to request traffic school, which I have to do in person according to the Monterey court system website since my speed was over 80mph) but obviously this is very difficult considering Monterey is 150 miles from Berkeley, and over 250 miles from Los Angeles.

Is it possible for me to apply VC40502 here? I did not request a change of venue at the time of the citation due to ignorance and the ticket itself simply has my signed agreement to appear at the King City (Monterey County) courthouse on a certain day.

CdwJava

ra34fan said:
Is it possible for me to apply VC40502 here? I did not request a change of venue at the time of the citation due to ignorance and the ticket itself simply has my signed agreement to appear at the King City (Monterey County) courthouse on a certain day.
No. You must appear in the county of issuance. The ONLY change you could have requested at the time of the stop was to be cited into the county seat for the county you were in. And for Monterey County, I believe the county seat is in Salinas.

Either way, you have to make the drive or risk arrest. Or, you can hire an attorney to appear in your stead.

- Carl

dallas702

It could get worse, though. If you don't show up they will issue a warrant. if you happened to be stopped again you would be taken to jail. You really need to go in and make a plea. Maybe the judge will move your traffic school (if they give you that) somewhere else, but then their traffic school doesn't get the $$. Did they give you the option of paying the bail/fine and having the ticket dismissed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">