• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about passing zones

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
hello all, i was recently ticketed twice by an officer of the city of aragon, ga. i had approached a driver traveling around 40mph in a 55. we entered a passing zone and after making sure traffic was clear i proceeded to overtake the car. when i was about halfway past the car they suddenly started speeding up trying to prevent me from passing. due to traffic coming in the distance i had to rapidly accelerate to get around them. right after entering the lane again i was flagged by a aragon city officer. he wrote me a ticket for reckless driving because he said i shouldnt have passed there, even tho it's clearly marked as a passing zone. he also cited me for speeding, and acknowledged that the other driver was preventing me from entering the lane, which is against the law. i'm just wanting to know how i can fight these charges, i know i probably was speeding by the time i made it around the car, but i didnt have much choice. i was also in a proper passing zone with clearly visible lines marked indicating it as a passing zone. any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
When the other driver accelerated you should have slowed back down and returned to your lane. You are not permitted to exceed the speed limit in order to pass someone. In addition, someone else's illegal actions do not justify your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">