• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about a potential incorrect citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Halcyon8

I got a speeding ticked for going 75 in a 55 on route 17 in New York State. On the ticket it says I was in violation of NYS V AND T LAW, Section Sub Section 1180B. When looking it up online, I went to the NYS page, went through, and found the Vehicle and Traffic Laws, but there was no sub section 1180B, only 1180 and 1180A.
Is this going to make a difference if I bring it up in court?

seniorjudge

§ 1180. Basic rule and maximum limits. (a) No person shall drive a
vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the
conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then
existing.
(b) Except as provided in subdivision (g) of this section and except
when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance
with subdivision (a) of this section or when maximum speed limits have
been established as hereinafter authorized, no person shall drive a
vehicle at a speed in excess of fifty-five miles per hour.

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/frmload.cgi?MENU-56539931

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

§1180. Basic rule and maximum limits.

(a) No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.

(b) Except as provided in subdivision (g) of this section and except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subdivision (a) of this section or when maximum speed limits have been established as hereinafter authorized, no person shall drive a vehicle at a speed in excess of fifty-five miles per hour.

Halcyon8

Ahh. Fair enough. Thank you. Looks like my best bet is to plead not guilty and go for a fine reduction.
Thanks again.

Hey There

Click and The Information is There

Two websites with information on a speeding defence can be found at Google:
Speeding Ticket FAQ
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea bargaining

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">