• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about radar enforcement & signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Del

What is the name of your state? CA

Hey all! First time visiting this forum, and it looks like people around here know their stuff. Can someone help me out with this?

I recently receieved a speeding ticket and my court date is coming up. I was caught by radar. I remember reading somewhere that in order for officers to use radar or laser, there must be a sign posted noting it (Speed Enforced by Radar, etc..). Does anyone know the CA code that states this? Any sort of links would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
-Daniel

CdwJava

Del said:
I recently receieved a speeding ticket and my court date is coming up. I was caught by radar. I remember reading somewhere that in order for officers to use radar or laser, there must be a sign posted noting it (Speed Enforced by Radar, etc..). Does anyone know the CA code that states this? Any sort of links would be appreciated as well.
There is no such requirement that I am aware of in the California Vehicle Code. I have heard this tale for many years and there MAY be something to it, but it is not a local requirement. I believe it was - at one time - a requirement (policy or law, I don't know) that such signs be posted on sections of freeway where radar was to be used, but to my knowedge it has never been the case for local law enforcement.

However, there appear to be courts that want to see the signs - for whatever reason - and that is why many counties post these signs at any road entering the county. My city posts these signs at all locations coming in to town because our county judges don't seem to like radar for some reason (perhaps they like speeding on county roads?) and they used to use the lack of signs as an excuse to dismiss. So, now you get welcomed to our city with, "Speed enforced by radar".

- Carl

efflandt

Those signs advising that your speed is being checked by radar or aircraft are just a deterent to make you think twice about speeding in those areas, whether officers are present or not. It's not like you can come up with the excuse, "Oh, I didn't know I couldn't violate the speed limit here" (anywhere).

At one time I heard they could not use radar in California. But maybe it is just hard to pinpoint one speeder or pursue them in 7 lanes of 80 mph traffic.

CdwJava

For a time the CHP was limited in the areas they were permitted to run radar. This is not the case anymore.

- Carl

Del

Thanks for the replies everyone! I asked because a few months ago I noticed a sign around town that USED to read "Speed enforced by radar" changed to "Speed enforced by laser" (our local PD use lidar now), so I was under the impression that someone challenged the radar thing and won. I'll look into it a little more and let you all know if I find something (doubt I will though).

-Daniel

xylene

Del said:
I noticed a sign around town that USED to read "Speed enforced by radar" changed to "Speed enforced by laser"
They want you to close your eyes. It's all about safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">