• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on community service sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hamper19

What is the name of your state? NJ

In 1996 when I was 17 I got a careless driving ticket for doing doughnuts in a dirt field. I was given 90 hrs community service. I am positive I completed this, however, I got a letter in the mail today, about 8 yrs later saying I have 12 hours left. This community service was to be done in 4 hr increments on saturdays only. What can I do to fight this? I know i met the requirements, and I have other obligations on saturdays.

please help, I am going to fight this.

thanks.

HomeGuru

hamper19 said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

In 1996 when I was 17 I got a careless driving ticket for doing doughnuts in a dirt field. I was given 90 hrs community service. I am positive I completed this, however, I got a letter in the mail today, about 8 yrs later saying I have 12 hours left. This community service was to be done in 4 hr increments on saturdays only. What can I do to fight this? I know i met the requirements, and I have other obligations on saturdays.

please help, I am going to fight this.

thanks.
**A: do you have records confirming your completion of the 90 hours or a letter from the court stating same?

H

hamper19

no, the only thing they had when I would go would was a little notpad, where you sign your name, and another worksheet where you sign your name. I would think it would be up to them to show they have me not completing the hours.

They give you nothing when you complete it, they say. OK take care. They don't give you receipts for days you complete. I asked them for something, b/c i knew some stupid **** like this would happen, just by the poor records it seemed they had.

I have no documents though, and I don't think they do either. Now if I went to court, and talked to the DA you think he would throw it out? I mean its supposedly 12 hours, of an 8 yr old case.

H

hamper19

working at a dirty ass recycling plant. I have things to do on saturdays though, and thats the only day they have it.

H

hamper19

ok if i am the defendant and they take me to court..isnt the BURDEN OF PROOF on them, thats why you are the defendant in the first place, no?

i say let them show me all records dating back to 1996 and i will be more then happy to seperate cans and bottles

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">