• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for Halket, Rochelle, dabear and IAAL.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Harlo

What is the name of your state? MS

Rec`d Speeding citation where I felt an error was made in mph.

When to Court House to request info.to form a defense. Was sent to SHP District office. I was told I would have to request this info.(In writing) from assigned Judge. After 2nd Registered letter in 7 weeks I was informed by Court Clerk by hand written note on my last letter that I would have to go thru SHP for this information. Now, after 2 registered letters to Troop Capt. I have not received even an acknowledgement. I have posponed court appearence several times due to the lack of this information.

Am I to assume even in the State of Mississippi I have the right to defend myself? Am grateful for any/ or all OPINION`s rendered.

H.L.O Note: Total lapsed time to date approx. 5 mons.

Rochelle

Harlo, what info were you requesting? In Simpson County, which is what I think you are referring to, they may run their court a little differently than we do.

H

Harlo

Question........?

Rochelle, I was giving an actual scenerio and wanted your opinion. This is not a question of anyone`s integrity, nor am I trying to trash the system(MS) i`m just curious to another`s opinion or input. This is not in Simpson County. You are so right about doing things differently.

Thanks for the reply......H.L.O.

Rochelle

For information concerning your license you would need to contact the HP, from whom we get the information. For anything else, you should be able to get it from the Court Clerk. I can't answer completely, without knowing what information you are requesting. This all seems a bit much for a speeding citation.

H

Harlo

Yes, I agree, this is a bit much for a speeding citation.

But, there was a large discrepancy between my speedometer and his accusation. I felt that I had no choice but to rebuke the charge.(He would not show me the radar "clocking".

This is the short version of my request.
Manufacturer and model of speed detection devise, maintenance records for a short period, last date of calibration, electronic equipment in patrol car and a copy of officer`s notes(if any) that did not appear on my copy of citation.

Do you per chance live in the Mendenhall area?

H.L.O.

Rochelle

No, I don't live near Mendenhall, but I do know where it is.

As far as showing you his radar, no officer is required to do that. There would be no notes to request. As far as the equipment, the calibration is checked every shift change, but I don't believe there would be a papertrail for that. I know we check our calibration here at every shift change but it does not involve writing anything down. The only thing you could do is subpoena the information from perhaps the city shop, but you're probably going to a lot of trouble for a speeding ticket that the judge will in all likelyhood uphold. By the same token, can you prove your speedometer is correct?

D

dabear

When people want to contest tickets, I get a public disclosure request and I have to give all information concerning the contact that I have. Usually on public disclosures the person has an attorney but I'm sure you can do it without one.

H

Harlo

Rochelle said:
No, I don't live near Mendenhall, but I do know where it is.

As far as showing you his radar, no officer is required to do that. There would be no notes to request. As far as the equipment, the calibration is checked every shift change, but I don't believe there would be a papertrail for that. I know we check our calibration here at every shift change but it does not involve writing anything down. The only thing you could do is subpoena the information from perhaps the city shop, but you're probably going to a lot of trouble for a speeding ticket that the judge will in all likelyhood uphold. By the same token, can you prove your speedometer is correct?
I have been stopped twice previously (13 and 15 yrs. respectively.) In both encounters the officer`s showed me their radar unit`s w/o me asking.I did`nt know one way or the other about the requirements.

My speedometer certainly could be off. The only thing I would have to go on would be 3 yrs. prior I had my tires changed and the dealer ran a calibration thru my OBDII.

H

Harlo

dabear said:
When people want to contest tickets, I get a public disclosure request and I have to give all information concerning the contact that I have. Usually on public disclosures the person has an attorney but I'm sure you can do it without one.
dabear......

Thanks for the information.This is becoming quite educational.

NOTE: I apologize to you and Rochelle for the "Quotes"as I have`nt a clue how to answer you both w/o mixing the Messages.

When it comes to a computer I`m as dumb as a sack of hammers.
And, apparently 'worse'when it comes to traffic tickets.

Thanks again to you both for your input and patience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">