• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on my tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livinlife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I posted awhile back and I just got my courtesy notice for my speeding ticket in the mail and I'm comparing it to my running a stop sign courtesy notice and ticket. Here is what I notice.

On the stop sign ticket that the CHP gave me, it says to appear in court on 5/16. On the courtesy notice I received from the Sup Ct. in the mail, it says I must return the Courtesy notice with my option chosen before 5/13. The only court option requires that I enter a plea and appear in court on 5/13 which is before my arraignment on 5/16. I thought that I could have the arraignment without entering a plea and going to trial.

On my speeding ticket that the CHP gave me, it says to appear in court on 5/28. On the courtesty notice I received from the Sup. Ct. in the mail, it says I must return the Courtesy notice with my option chosen before 6/18 which is the trial date.

So one ticket I have to post bail or put in a plea before my arraignment and the other is after my arraignment?? Why?

I_Got_Banned

.... before 6/18 which is the trial date.
Why would you assume that 6/18 is a "trial" date?
How can your case be scheduled for trial before you appear at your arraignment?

Go to the clerk's window in court and ask them!

PS: You've been pretty "active" when it comes to citations, haven't you!

livinlife

Why would you assume that 6/18 is a "trial" date?
How can your case be scheduled for trial before you appear at your arraignment?

Go to the clerk's window in court and ask them!

PS: You've been pretty "active" when it comes to citations, haven't you!
I "assume" that because it states that on the courtesy notice.

Exactly why I am asking the question. Obviously a problem

Yes, I will go to the clerk's window in court. I was hoping to get an answer here before I made the long drive but apparently not.

I've been driving for five years and I happened to get my first and only 2 citations 2 weeks apart. I suppose that makes me very "active." :rolleyes:

I_Got_Banned

I "assume" that because it states that on the courtesy notice.
That is not what you said in your post... you said "before 6/18 which is the trial date" and by your using the term "which is" without saying "which it refers to as the'"Trial Date'", makes your statement sound like a conclusion!!!

I asked you a simple question; no need to cop an attitude about it!

Exactly why I am asking the question. Obviously a problem
I wouldn't call it a problem. Whatever it is, though, it is yours, so you can refer to it as you choose!

Yes, I will go to the clerk's window in court. I was hoping to get an answer here before I made the long drive but apparently not.
I picked up your thread off of the second page so to me that suggested that my answer was going to be the only one you were getting! And up until now, that seemed to have held up...

I've been driving for five years and I happened to get my first and only 2 citations 2 weeks apart. I suppose that makes me very "active." :rolleyes:
2 tickets in 2 weeks is VERY ACTIVE! I offered an opinion, if you feel you should be granted immunity from those, you should not have posted your info on a forum!

Just to give you an idea why I assumed you were all confused was because of these two statements:
I thought that I could have the arraignment without entering a plea and going to trial.
... So one ticket I have to post bail or put in a plea before my arraignment and the other is after my arraignment?? Why?
... neither of which give any indication that you are aware that you arraignment is the court appearance where you get to enter your plea!

Good luck in court... ;) both times...

livinlife

Oh for heaven's sake, you made a snappy comment about my "activity," I made one back and now I have an attitude. Oh my. Maybe you shouldn't respond to my thread if you don't expect a response back.

I need to mail back the bottom of the portion of the courtesy notice before the trial date which is 6/18. I'm confused by the rest of your comments.

I am calling it a problem because there is a discrepancy between both tickets.

I never said anything about being granted immunity!!

I still am confused. I was told that there was the arraignment, which is the date that the cop put on the ticket and then a separate trial which is the date on the courtesy notice. Is this incorrect?

Why the 2 court dates then?

patstew

You mention a "long drive" to the court -- have you tried calling them? You might be able to clarify everything before you actually have to show up.

I_Got_Banned

Oh for heaven's sake, you made a snappy comment about my "activity," I made one back and now I have an attitude. Oh my.
My "snappy" comment was in the form of a "P.S." as in a "by the way"...

Maybe you shouldn't respond to my thread if you don't expect a response back.
Maybe you shouldn't "post a thread" if you don't expect any "comments" back!!! ;)

I'm confused by the rest of your comments.
Actually, I would suggest that you are confused by ALL of my comments! Especially the ones you "thought" you had figured out!!!

I still am confused. I was told that there was the arraignment, which is the date that the cop put on the ticket and then a separate trial which is the date on the courtesy notice.
Well, let me add more to your confusion... There have been times where the date that the officer wrote on the citation was merely a date to appear at the traffic clerk's window to simply request that your arraignment date be scheduled. It depends on the particular court.

With that being said, and in light of the fact that there has not been any other posts or "comments" that may tend to clarify this matter anymore, I would assume your best bet would be to contact the court, even if it means having to drive there!

You mention a "long drive" to the court -- have you tried calling them? You might be able to clarify everything before you actually have to show up.
patstew, many times in California, the phone numbers given on the citation or those on the courtesy notice are not necessarily the numbers where one can contact a human being at the court. Typically, they are more like an automated system which handles the processing of payments, scheduling of court appearances, requesting of automatic appearance/payment extensions... for a group of courts in a particular county... etc. they do not offer the ability to interact with someone who can answer questions!

Frustrating? Yes!!!
Impossible? No!!!

livinlife

:rolleyes: I'm so glad you have everything figured out perfectly.

Calling is useless. I'm paying the first ticket and avoiding court. I don't have time with school and it's impossible for me to miss class. Right, it would make sense that the date is to appear at the traffic court window but the date on the ticket is AFTER I mail in the courtesy notice with either money or another decision. What's the point of appearing at the traffic court window AFTER I conclude the ticket.

I_Got_Banned

:rolleyes: I'm so glad you have everything figured out perfectly.
I wish I could say the same for you!:rolleyes:
Calling is useless..
I already stated that in response to patstew's comment!
I'm paying the first ticket and avoiding court.
This is the first time you've said that you have made up your mind!
I don't have time with school and it's impossible for me to miss class..
Sounds like you have your priorities in order and for that, you should be commended.
Right, it would make sense that the date is to appear at the traffic court window.
So your sarcastic comment earlier was unnecessary....
but the date on the ticket is AFTER I mail in the courtesy notice with either money or another decision.
We still haven’t found an answer to that and according to post #3, you stated you were going to court to ask about that.
… or another decision.
So you really have not made up your mind!!!
By the way, if the “other decision” might include you pleading “not guilty” then keep in mind that if you mail in your plea along with the bail amount required to get you court trial scheduled, then you are essentially waiving your right to a speedy trial. Which means the Judge would no longer be obligated to schedule your trial date within 45 days of your arraignment.
What's the point of appearing at the traffic court window AFTER I conclude the ticket.
Who was it that told you to appear at the traffic court window AFTER you conclude your trial?
I only suggested that you go to court -to clarify the discrepancy in the dates you inquired about... In order to benefit from any explanation that the clerk might give you, you would have to have made that trip before ANY OF THE DATES on either letter!

I am outa here… :rolleyes: Good luck… best wishes and drive careful.

JIMinCA

IGB,

Is there anyone that you don't argue with? I know you argue with me all the time, but I have not been an OP. Why do you feel the need to get snippy with a guy who simply comes here looking for help?

livinlife

Ok, I found out that the date on my actual ticket is just a plain old mistake.

After 20 minutes of going nowhere with a court secretary, I got my first ticket extended and told that I have no chance of 2nd violation traffic school and then told I should go to court and ask for 2nd violation traffic school. Etc. I might be able to get into court without missing school if it's during finals week.

Seriously IGB? What are you trying to accomplish? It appears that your posts are mostly commentary, not actual help. It does not seem as though I am allowed to make ANY type of comment towards you without you getting snippy.

JIMinCA, I'm a girl not a guy btw :D. Thank you for stepping in. IGB does seem very argumentative...which is fine, but if I were a daily poster here, I'd stick with arguing over issues that are not petty, like mine is. Or maybe just not arguing at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">