• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question number 2....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brianzx7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The court I am going to does not record in any way what is said during the hearing. Can I bring in a recorder and tell the judge that I am going to record my hearing? Is there a law somewhere or something in the CVC I can refer to about this?

Thank you
~B

CdwJava

California Rules of Court 1.150 covers recording court proceedings:

Title One Rules

(d) Personal recording devices

The judge may permit inconspicuous personal recording devices to be used by persons in a courtroom to make sound recordings as personal notes of the proceedings. A person proposing to use a recording device must obtain advance permission from the judge. The recordings must not be used for any purpose other than as personal notes.​

- Carl

I_Got_Banned

California Rules of Court 1.150 covers recording court proceedings:

Title One Rules

(d) Personal recording devices

The judge may permit inconspicuous personal recording devices to be used by persons in a courtroom to make sound recordings as personal notes of the proceedings. A person proposing to use a recording device must obtain advance permission from the judge. The recordings must not be used for any purpose other than as personal notes.​

- Carl
So I cannot submit a copy of a recording along with my statement on appeal?

I guess I can transcribe from the recording...

Jim_bo

So I cannot submit a copy of a recording along with my statement on appeal?

I guess I can transcribe from the recording...

You don't have to. The way the record on appeal is developed is by you submitting a proposed statement. This is your version of the events that transpired in court. There is a "settled statement hearing" that follows where the court/judge, prosecutor and you agree on any changes to the proposed statement and it becomes the statement of record (settled statement).

Now, if you have a tape of the matter, it sure seems more credible that your version is the correct version as you have the benefit of the "notes" in your tape. However, the court DOES have a biased motive to ensure that its version is what goes forward in the settled statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">