• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding pushing 12-point suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABBandit

What is the name of your state? : Ohio

OK well here's the deal it might be kinda lengthy but I'm going to try and shorten it to the best of my ability.

A couple months ago I was pushing only 8 points with a speeding ticket, I made an arrangement with the judge to take the two point reduction with a local driving school. So I could avoid insurance problems and what not.

As my bad luck would have it, I really don't know if my car has a neon sign on it that says gun me with your radar Mr. Officer, but since then I've accumulated up to 8 points recieved my letter saying I'm over the 6 or whatever. And right now I have two pending violations. One for stop sign ticket, and another speed. Alright so I've got you guys that far, now these points are going to put me up to twelve. I've already had one court appearance with the judge for the stop sign, and she asked me to straighten my license out and come back in few weeks. Well by this I assume that she meant to take that remedial course, but while speaking my plea to her i said I attended the course once already and as I read everywhere you can only take it once every three years. I don't think theres any other way to reduce points? and I don't know what other way she could be talking about straightening my license out? I mean I'd be happy with her just reducing the conviction to something without points. If there is another way to reduce or mask points someone please tell me I'd like to avoid a suspension from this last speeding ticket at all costs.

The only other option I would have if she convicts me of the stop sign ticket and gives me those 2 points, is to fight the speeding ticket. I mean obviously it's worth the effort pushing this suspension. But would I really have a chance? I have no criminal record what so ever, and I've never hurt anyone by means of an accident. I understand that I can get priveledges to drive under suspension, but a problem is (and I know this isn't really subject worthy of this thread but it is my situation) is that just recently I found out my girlfriend's pregnant and she doesn't drive. Can that be covered under the priveledges if need be? For doctor's appointment and what not.

The last question that I have for you in all in this mess of mine is that I have 2 points coming off in September, I'll still be under suspension if it comes to that, but I can't take the 2 point remedial course for another 2 and a half years, which happens to be the same course you need to take when under a twelve point suspesion. So does that mean that after I recieve my suspension since i took the course already that I have to wait to take it again before I can get full priveledges back? Or am I ok to go and re-test once the 6 months is up for the suspension and since the point will be off by then? I know this is a lot to read, but I'd really appreciate any advice in here about anything, doesn't have to be as a whole but thanks for anything that anyone can offer me

seniorjudge

ABBandit said:
What is the name of your state? : Ohio

OK well here's the deal it might be kinda lengthy but I'm going to try and shorten it to the best of my ability.

A couple months ago I was pushing only 8 points with a speeding ticket, I made an arrangement with the judge to take the two point reduction with a local driving school. So I could avoid insurance problems and what not.

As my bad luck would have it, I really don't know if my car has a neon sign on it that says gun me with your radar Mr. Officer, but since then I've accumulated up to 8 points recieved my letter saying I'm over the 6 or whatever. And right now I have two pending violations. One for stop sign ticket, and another speed. Alright so I've got you guys that far, now these points are going to put me up to twelve. I've already had one court appearance with the judge for the stop sign, and she asked me to straighten my license out and come back in few weeks. Well by this I assume that she meant to take that remedial course, but while speaking my plea to her i said I attended the course once already and as I read everywhere you can only take it once every three years. I don't think theres any other way to reduce points? and I don't know what other way she could be talking about straightening my license out? I mean I'd be happy with her just reducing the conviction to something without points. If there is another way to reduce or mask points someone please tell me I'd like to avoid a suspension from this last speeding ticket at all costs.

The only other option I would have if she convicts me of the stop sign ticket and gives me those 2 points, is to fight the speeding ticket. I mean obviously it's worth the effort pushing this suspension. But would I really have a chance? I have no criminal record what so ever, and I've never hurt anyone by means of an accident. I understand that I can get priveledges to drive under suspension, but a problem is (and I know this isn't really subject worthy of this thread but it is my situation) is that just recently I found out my girlfriend's pregnant and she doesn't drive. Can that be covered under the priveledges if need be? For doctor's appointment and what not.

The last question that I have for you in all in this mess of mine is that I have 2 points coming off in September, I'll still be under suspension if it comes to that, but I can't take the 2 point remedial course for another 2 and a half years, which happens to be the same course you need to take when under a twelve point suspesion. So does that mean that after I recieve my suspension since i took the course already that I have to wait to take it again before I can get full priveledges back? Or am I ok to go and re-test once the 6 months is up for the suspension and since the point will be off by then? I know this is a lot to read, but I'd really appreciate any advice in here about anything, doesn't have to be as a whole but thanks for anything that anyone can offer me

Sounds like you are going to need a hardship driving permit.

sukharev

1) Do you have another court date set for stop sign?
2) Do you have speeding ticket hearing in same court?
3) What is the speeding ticket for (give us alleged speed, speed limit, and any other details)?

ABBandit

sukharev said:
1) Do you have another court date set for stop sign?
2) Do you have speeding ticket hearing in same court?
3) What is the speeding ticket for (give us alleged speed, speed limit, and any other details)?
Yes I have already been to court for the stop sign ticket, which is when the judge told me to straighten my license out as stated above. Which I have no idea how to do.

The speeding ticket is in the same court, but I don't know if it's before the same judge. My re-appearance since the judge gave me a continuance after entering a guilty plea is on the 30th, and the appearance for the speeding ticket is on the 31st.

The speeding ticket was for a 54 in a 35 zone, the area where I was supposedly clocked is a commercial stretch of road that is 4 lanes. Almost everyone speeds there, so I was just picked out of the crowd. The cop was sitting in a parking lot off to my right while driving behind some trees and what not, not really out in the open(not sure if this matters comepletely or not). He followed me onto a side street off that stretch, claimed that I was trying to duck out, I explained my situation to him and being a prick he gave me the whole I have to do my job speech. Sorry for rambling and getting slightly vulgar here, don't get me wrong I respect police and they're jobs most of the time. Not when they're out to penny pinch me for my dollar, and create some serious hardships where I already have other ones ongoing.

sukharev

Talk to an attorney who is experienced in traffic tickets. Find one in yellow pages, preferably close to the court and familiar with the judge. He will also explain what the best way forward is. My guess is you need to negotiate with DA, so that you don't even go to trial. Since you have pleaded guilty already, this should be possible. You can try handling this alone, but experienced lawyer would be much better way to go.

If you do loose your license, you can ask the court clerk if and how you can apply for restricted license to take care of your wife. But don't worry about this until you have to.

Sorry to sound like you grandma, but you do need a serious attitude adjustment. The cop was indeed just doing his job, and he would not have stopped you if you were obeying the signs. Nothing was designed to just extort money from you. Having prior violations has not helped either. Bottom line, you need to blame yourself, not the rest of the world. The good news is, you can fix your troubles and make sure you don't get into any more. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">