• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Speeding Tickets & Collection Agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drftballfan

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I received a speeding ticket in Jackson County, Florida about 2 years ago. I mailed a money order as payment along with my ticket and assumed that I had paid my fine since I received no further notice from the county.

Now 2 years later, I am receiving a notice from a collection agency (Credit Bureau of Marianna) that I may pay the fine plus interest or my license will be suspended. I naively assumed that by not receiving any followup calls or written requests for payment from them that they did receive my money order so it is possible that I no longer even have the money order tracking slip (they would not accept personal checks, which I could have easily verified with my bank). Also, I have pulled my DMV record each year to check it and this ticket was never listed on my driving record.

So here are my questions:

1) Can a collection agency threaten to suspend one's license? I was under the impression that such an action had to be initiated by the state? I know collectors will sometimes make illegal threats in order to secure the money they are seeking. What are my rights and options in this case?

2) Because I am a Georgia resident, will the State of Florida be able to take steps to suspend my license if they continue to believe I did not pay?

I mailed a payment for this fine 2 years ago and I do not wish to pay for it twice. Not all departments mail receipts so I assumed this was the case (my wife got 2 tickets when she was younger...the larger city mailed her a receipt and with the smaller county she had to call and verify that they received payment because they do not mail receipts).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

lwpat

1) Can a collection agency threaten to suspend one's license? I was under the impression that such an action had to be initiated by the state? I know collectors will sometimes make illegal threats in order to secure the money they are seeking. What are my rights and options in this case?
Yes they can. Your options are singular - pay the fine.

2) Because I am a Georgia resident, will the State of Florida be able to take steps to suspend my license if they continue to believe I did not pay?
Yes

with the smaller county she had to call and verify that they received payment because they do not mail receipts
You married well.

drftballfan

Thank you for your reply lwpat. I checked out your website and you seem to know a great deal about these things so I trust your judgment. :)

I just hate to have to pay twice...once for my own mistake (speeding) and once for that of another (either mishandling by the postal service or lack of documentation of receipt of payment by the agency in question).

Would it even be worth it to contact the police agency now to question them about the payment or must all correspondance by handled through the collection agency? Seeing as I already submitted payment once, I would like to exercise any other alternative ways to solve this issue without just forking over additional payments.

I am not trying to skirt a a responsibility, just trying to protect myself as a consumer.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">