• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question: White Plains, NY speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SAABDRIVER

White Plains, NY.

Hi and thanks so much for your informative webpage.

I have a question, and am in need of a little advice.

I recently recieved a speeding ticket for 69MPH in a 30MPH in White Plains, NY.

I am pleading not guilty and requesting for a deposition within the time required to do so.

I am hoping that I do not recieve the deposition in time so that I can follow the steps for dismissal.

Now my question is, that if in the case that I recieve thier deposiition in time, should I immediately contact a lawyer to represent me?

Is it possible (or plausible) to represent myself on the new date they give me (most likely a pretrial date) and hope that the officer that gave me the ticket does not show so that I may recieve a dismissal?
Or is that only the case when I show up on the date written on the ticket?

And if I get there and the officer is there also, can I negotiate for a Prayer for Judgement, since it is my first traffic offense in NY? Or should I just negotiate for a reduction?

I would like to know ASAP so when the time comes I know what to do.

Thanks for your time and your help,
Sincerely,
Mike

C

Caljamscott

I don't know, but I would say going 69 in a 30 MPH zone is pretty hard. Perhaps you should really consider surrendering your license and never operating a motor vehicle again.

SAABDRIVER

And I would say quit stating the obvious until you're able to provide some useful information. Anyone else care to actually HELP that hopefully has dealt with a similar situation before?

Curt581

Sure there are.

But... based on the tone of this:
And I would say quit stating the obvious until you're able to provide some useful information. Anyone else care to actually HELP that hopefully has dealt with a similar situation before?
We simply choose not to help you.

No one here is under ANY obligation to limit their responses to things you only want to hear, or respond to you at all.

Ask nicely, we might help you.

Start demanding, and you get zero.

LSCAP

C'mon read his statement. He asked nice enough.

In NYC it was called an ACD, (adjudicated contemplating dismissal)

At 39 over the limit, you need all the help you can get. I'd seriously consider the only option is to get a local lawyer. Discuss it with him and see what he can do.

By your self you don't stand a chance.

C

Caljamscott

Yes, I thought SAABDRIVER asked nicely enough too, even though his driving offense is aggregious.

Curt581

LSCAP said:
C'mon read his statement. He asked nice enough.
Maybe in his first post... but in his second, he came across as an over-indulged child, demanding to be given the answers he wanted to hear.

If that's the case, he can pay an attorney for what he wants.

C

Caljamscott

SAABDRIVER I've got some more bad news for you. I believe that doubling the Speed Limit in New York means automatic license revocation. I d/o have the NY Traffic Law Rulebook and I c/an look up the exact statue for you in the Speeding Section if you want me to.

So you did more than double the speed limit. You went 69 in a 30 MPH zone. I don't know what they're gonna do about the other 9 somethings.

thanrah1

Officer not showing

Don't bank on the officer not showing up. Officers who don't show up for their traffic trials in Westchester County get reported to their department's for failure to appear, I know of two other police departments in the county, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle that discipline their officers for not appearing for their traffic trials unless their is a legitimate reason. I believe that the City of White Plains does the same thing.

The traffic court if notified beforehand that the officer cannot respond will try to notify the defendant in the case and have it postponed, if possible. If not possible the defendant will still have his traffic trial postponed until the officer is able to testify.

SAABDRIVER

Hi,
Thank you for the people who helped me with thier advice for my situation, it is greatly appreciated. You have re-assured me that my natural instinct to hire a lawyer is correct.

I have already spoke with an attorney, and and my current course of action is the same as he advised me to do right now.

When the time comes I will ask for a continuance with " currently seeking counsel" as my excuse, I will be sure to hire a local ticket lawyer to help me for the next time.

Any one know about "pre-paid legal"? I this a good option? It seems to be much cheaper.

And PS...to Curt581: If you would spend half the amount of energy complaining about other people as you would helping them, you could actually do some good to a lot of people. Just becuase this is a free forum, doesn't mean it allows you to blow off steam from your hurt feelings.

I am just looking for results, and I don't like wasting my time reading someone's useless posts b/c they know I have to (i.e. YOURS).

I originally asked as nicely as I could, but I don't tolerate anything else but the same treatment in a response. And the people that get the nasty responses are for a valid reason.

I'm from NY, deal with it. That's how things get done around here.

BelizeBreeze

Curt581 said:
Ask nicely, we might help you.
and who the Hell is this WE? You think because you have 690 posts you speak for everyone here?

That sounds like YOU need to ask nicely to stay here bubba. :rolleyes:

SAABDRIVER said:
I am just looking for results, and I don't like wasting my time reading someone's useless posts b/c they know I have to (i.e. YOURS).
...and I don't like having MY time wasted reading about your problem, which was caused by a serious and glaring flaw in your driving skills, rather than some innocent mistake. Going 69 in a 30 demonstrates more than just a bit of a lead-foot tendancy, it demonstrates an inability to drive like a decent person.

Hopefully, you'll get the "public transit" treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">