• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable Speeding Ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Morticn6

Hello, My story goes like this....I made a right hand turn comnig off 167th street onto 167th and harlem. I continues Southbound until I reached 171st, where i made a left turn. I was meeting some friends at a resturant for our usual weekly get together. I pulled into the parking lot, about 200 feet away from the intersection i turned left on. I circled the lot, not seeing either friend's car. I notced on the side of the road, right next to the parking lot entrance there was a cop waiting. I thought nothing of it at the time, and I took a right, to go back on 171st and harlem. Immediatlely I get pulled over, and the cop tells me i was speeding on 167th going towards 171st 29 mph over. He also told me he was going to drop the ticket, (I was a smooth operator that night) and that he just needed to see my liscence and registration before i went. I gave him my liscence, and i knew i didnt have my new insurance card (My old one expired may 5th, and it was the 12th). He then said he was giving me tickets for both. I do have nothing on my driving record up until this ticket here.

My question basically is what should do i do about this when i go to court? Is there anything the cop did wrong? If i was spedding around 30mph over, wouldnt that consitute him pulling me over right away, instead of waiting the 5-6 blocks that he did, 10 minutes later? Any advice/ help would be appreciated. I am in Cook County, Illinois. Also, does anyone know what the speeding ticket violation for 29 mph over is, and if i have to pay it at the court on the day i am scheduled to appear, or can i pay it at a later date. Much thanks in advance.

-Tom-:confused:

D

dabear

The officer can wait five or six blocks to stop you because he/she is waiting for the safest area for the stop. If you go to court and prove that you had insurance on that particular day most likely the insurance ticket will be dropped or reduced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">