• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questioning the amount of a speeding ticket in Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladylep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I got a ticket for going 36 in a 25 zone in Castle Rock, WA. The ticket shows the ticket fine as $154. The RCW cited is 46-61-400, description - speeding 11mph over limit , 40mph or less. When I look online at the Washington State Court Rules at IRLJ 6.2 which give the monetary penalty schedule for traffic infractions it shows $57 for going 11-15 over the speed limit when it's 40 or less.
Any idea why mine was so much more? Or advice on how I can find out why? I couldn't find anything on the ticket.
Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

DRTDEVL

While the "fine" may be $57, the "fees" add up.

Anti-DUI and -Drug fees. D.A.R.E. Fuel Surcharges. Officer Association fees. Victim Advocate fees. Taxes (yes, they can charge tax on the fines and fees in some states). Then come court costs.

Go to the courthouse and inquire. Give us a list of the bunk "fees" being charged by that jurisdiction. Traffic violations are money makers... Not for the officers involved, but for the localities based upon the fees added to the fines.

As a reference point, I got a ticket in FL for 9 over (yes, I was going 9 over, no discretion) on a rural highway. By FL Law, the fine for this was $25 and Court Costs may not exceed $30, yet my ticket was $155.50. The other $100.50 went to bogus fees and program funds supported by the county.

I_Got_Banned

You want to talk about fines, fees and surcharges?

Lets take a look at California, particularly, Los Angeles County.

While a speeding violation for 11 mph over the limit (similar to yours) shows a "Base Fine" of $35, after adding what is referred to here as "Penalties and Assessments", the "Total Fine" ends up being $201 :eek:. A mark-up of 574%.

Another example... The "Statutory Fine" for a Red-Light violation is a nice round $100... Yet after adding the "P's & A's", you're looking at a nice sum of $435.

DRTDEVL

You want to talk about fines, fees and surcharges?

Lets take a look at California, particularly, Los Angeles County.

While a speeding violation for 11 mph over the limit (similar to yours) shows a "Base Fine" of $35, after adding what is referred to here as "Penalties and Assessments", the "Total Fine" ends up being $201 :eek:. A mark-up of 574%.

Another example... The "Statutory Fine" for a Red-Light violation is a nice round $100... Yet after adding the "P's & A's", you're looking at a nice sum of $435.
A base fine of $25 with a total cost of $155.50 is a mark up of 622%. Citrus County, Florida.

I_Got_Banned

A base fine of $25 with a total cost of $155.50 is a mark up of 622%. Citrus County, Florida.
Add a "Failure To Appear" or a "Failure To Pay" to the $35 Base Fine in my example and it gets to a total of $846... A mark up of 2426% plus a license suspension! Los Angeles County, California. :D

DRTDEVL

Add a "Failure To Appear" or a "Failure To Pay" to the $35 Base Fine in my example and it gets to a total of $846... A mark up of 2426% plus a license suspension! Los Angeles County, California. :D
Now you're cheating! :cool:

I paid mine, so I have no knowledge of the total cost of an FTA/FTP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">