• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yoshar

What is the name of your state? NC

Ive heard that if you have a court date for a speeding ticket, if you keep pushing it back to when an officer cant make it, and he keeps pushing it back that the officer will eventually just drop the ticket.

i dont know if this is true or just some lie, so i was curious to see if it would actually work

thanks

racer72

That has never worked. If it did work that would be the advice given to everyone that comes to this forum.

CdwJava

I get a minimum of 2.5 hours overtime when I have to get up and go to court. If I get there and find out that it has been postponed, I pocket my overtime money and go home! Two and a half hours O.T. for a five minute drive and a two minute walk to the courtroom? Not bad!

Unless the officer has to drive a long way, he's gonna make bank off the delays. And if notice is given prior to court, he won't have to show at all. So ... how is the cop inconvenienced by these delays?

- Carl

CdwJava

mitgr5200@yahoo said:
ever think of just taking responsibilty for what you did instead of trying to skirt the law?
Responsibility for one's own actions?! How very 'old school' of you! :eek:

- Carl

justalayman

mitgr5200@yahoo said:
nothing wrong with old school if it's right, sorry you don't agree
I would venture to guess that Carl's response was sarcasm.
I believe with he being an officer of the law would love for people to take some responsibility for their actions. It would make his job a lot easier in many aspects.

sukharev

Hate to be "new school", but we really don't know anything about the offense to make judgements about OP's intention to avoid responsibility. Maybe it was a 5 mph over, who knows. So, I would prefer to side with OP on this one, and explain a bit further why this may be a bad idea.

One big reason is: it actually takes away your advantage when officer is not present. If you requested continuance, so can the prosecutor at trial time. It's up to the judge to decide at that point, but you have nothing to respond to that request, since you had been granted one too. If, on the other hand, you did not request continuance and did show up, you can argue that the time for trial is now, and you are ready, but prosecutor is not, so you motion for dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">