• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radar ticket! Not guilty!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Racerstodeath

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was going 55 on Grand Parkway (99) when this BMW passed me at a high rate of speed. Right on the overpass, the BMW was only about 10 feet from me when the police from the opposing traffic made a u-turn and picked me up. He wrote me up for 70 at a 55 zone. Now I went to the pre-trial motion today and was brushed aside by the DA. I promptly filed my discovery within 2 hours. Here are some questions that I would like for someone to answer for me.

1.) For the discovery, will they charge me for the paper work and how much can they charge?

2.) My court date is Oct. 22 of this year. So, when is a reasonable time for the discovery to be sent back to me?

3.) Should I delay the court date as late as I can? Or is it better just to get it over with?

4.) What strategies can I use for my defend?

5.) What is the chance of me winning?

By the way, if you notice my user name, I am not a racer. The only place I race is at a professonal go kart track that I have to pay $20 for 10 min. of racing. The only reason that I use this name is because I use it for other fourms too. Also, I drive a mini-van so I can race for nothing! Thanks ahead for any input to this thread

latarpley

you can try this to fight the ticket, may or may not work depending on the judge.

1. radar operators must be trained and certified on the equipment they use. Request documentation as to the officers training.

2. radar equipment must be calibrated by the factory and this calibration periodically field tested. Request documentation on when the unit was last calibrated and the last field test. The field test should be on the same day you recieved the ticket.

3. Ask the officer the name and type of radar unit he used in determining your speed. This must be the same type of radar that is on his certification.

4. Have the officer explain in detail how the radar unit works. This should be a techinal description of how the speed is determined. Doplar etc.....

remember Radar is an excellent tool when used properly but is should not be the only evidence against you. There should be visual observation, among other things.

This type of questioning may only strengthing the officers case if he is able to provide proof he is proficient using radar. If in fact you were speeding and you only dispute the MPH over the limit, then I suggest you get ready for a conviction of speeding.

latarpley

i read your post in 'job discrimination' and would like to add this bit of advise.

if it is true that you are offered drivers training and this training will allow the ticket to be dismissed, then take it. Usually you will receive a certification of completion. You may be able to use this for a discount on your insurance. I hope you didn't loose your temper in person at court; like you did in your reply to Beth3. The courts descretion is usually reserved for the polite.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">