• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ran a red light in CA with an MI license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi All,

I have a question to ask.

So I accidently ran a red light in California and got a huge ticket ($480!!!)...But it indeed was my fault and I'll just pay the fine...I was also given the option to attend traffic school for a $57+ fee.

However, the license number on the ticket was my old Michigan one. Actually I applied for a CA license AFTER I ran the light and now holding a temporary CA license. Today DMV returned my check saying I must have a non commercial valid CA license to attend traffic school.

My question is...will I still get a point off my new CA license if I don't pay the $57+ fee for traffic school? Even the license number on the ticket is not CA???

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

There is a non masking provision required of all states by the FMCSA. CDL holders are not eligible for any deferment of punishment. You will get points appropriate to the violation in CA, on your CA CDL.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is a non masking provision required of all states by the FMCSA. CDL holders are not eligible for any deferment of punishment. You will get points appropriate to the violation in CA, on your CA CDL.
How do you come to the conclusion that the OP has a CDL?

Dillon

its my understanding, equipment operated by permit and application with the state of CA. may inadvertently be used in commerce at some point in time, even though not classed for commercial use.

just like commercially classed equipment may be enjoyed as personal goods when not used in commerce.

--------------

the question should be, "Is it really necessary for the OP to carry a CDL or DL on his person, if not driving equipment, inventory, farm goods or personal goods in the state of CA. ?"

as you all know, if something is unnecessary to carry its unreasonable to carry.

-------------

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

How do you come to the conclusion that the OP has a CDL?
Today DMV returned my check saying I must have a non commercial valid CA license to attend traffic school
If OP got a letter denying traffic school because only people with non commercial CA licenses can attend traffic school and OP has a CA license, it must be a CDL. If OP has a non commercial CA license, their MI license is no longer valid and they should qualify, they failed to notify the court of the change.

Dillon

If OP got a letter denying traffic school because only people with non commercial CA licenses can attend traffic school and OP has a CA license, it must be a CDL. If OP has a non commercial CA license, their MI license is no longer valid and they should qualify, they failed to notify the court of the change.
the OP said, "and now holding a temporary CA license. he did not exactly say now holding a temporary CA Commercial Drivers License.

we will have to wait and see what in fact he really has for sure, to make a valid determination.

either way he is not required to posses a CDL or DL if not driving equipment in the states of MI or CA.

--------------

Last edited:

justalayman

either way he is not required to posses a CDL or DL if not driving equipment in the states of MI or CA.
while the part of your post I didn't quote is accurate, I am amazed at how you can suggest a DL was not required based on some BS reading of the law only you can come up with. OP was obviously operating a vehicle. He admits to operating it in California ergo he is subject to the laws requiring he carry a DL on his person although that is not what he was ticketed for. He was ticketed for running a red light so your argument about being required to carry a DL is a ruse, a red herring, an obfuscation and simply misdirects the reader from the actual situation.

Dillon

while the part of your post I didn't quote is accurate, OP was obviously operating a vehicle. He admits to operating it in California ergo he is subject to the laws .

you are Right on, Justalayman

the OP confession does trump the evidence.

I would NOT have confessed that way, but thats me. I cant say more...

----------------

Last edited:

davew128

Why can't it be a form letter that everyone gets if they EITHER have a CDL OR a non-California license?
Because I can tell you that four years ago while on vacation in CA before moving here, I got a speeding ticket and that language was not on there and I did online traffic school to dismiss the ticket with a non-CA license.

I_Got_Banned

If OP has a non commercial CA license, their MI license is no longer valid and they should qualify, they failed to notify the court of the change.
Incorrect!

OP's citation was issued to him referencing his Michigan driver's license number, and the outcome of the case ("guilty" or "not guilty") will be reported to Michigan using THAT driver's license number, and so the decision to grant/deny him the traffic school option is dependent upon whether his Michigan license is a CDL or not.

He's NOT going to get to circumvent the violation point by applying for a CA non-commercial license (AFTER the violation date), thereby invalidating his Michigan CDL and hoping he would qualify for the traffic school option!

And there is no need to notify the court of the change! It has no effect on the citation or its potential outcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">