• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RCW's cited for not violated, but others not cited for violated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Quitis

What is the name of your state? Washington

Use of Left arm held horrizontal to the side of my motorcycle for 300+ feet before crossing from on-ramp lane to HoV lane. Arm was extend for the 300 feet before my lane joined with the freeway and only up until I placed my hand back on my handle bar to turn my bike and cross 4 lanes to the HoV lane.

My turn signals are operative however the flasher, having burnt out was removed and a solid amber light on whichever side of my bike I indicate with my turn signal is all I have currently. Therefor using arm signals when able to free a hand from my handlebars, and solid amber indicator lights when it is not safe to do so.

Cited for the following, in the officers words:
At approximately 1955 hours on this night, I was northbound on I405 near SR520. As I proceeded north on I405 towards the NE 70 Street exit, I observed a red motorcycle enter onto I405 from SR520. This motorcycle proceeded to make four unsignalled lane changes, from the rightmost northbound lane, all the way over to the leftmost HOV lane, without using a turn signal to signal lane change intentions even once. It was dark and rainy out this night.

From the ticket:
RCW 46.61.304 FAILURE TO SIGNAL LANE CHANGE (X FOUR)

From the law:
RCW 46.61.305
When signals required -- Improper use prohibited.
(1) No person shall turn a vehicle or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety nor without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.

(2) A signal of intention to turn or move right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

(3) No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided herein to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

(4) The signals provided for in RCW 46.61.310 subsection (2), shall not be flashed on one side only on a disabled vehicle, flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear, nor be flashed on one side only of a parked vehicle except as may be necessary for compliance with this section.

Signal of intention I used as stated was my left arm held out horizontaly to the left for not less than 300 hundred feet before the lane change. As noted in this law one hundred feet is all that is nescessary, and it provides no requirements for individual signals of intention for each individual lane crossed when moving left or right along the highway. Without going into details over 46.61.310, it simply states that either an electric signal or arm signal may be used, however the latter may not be used on a vehicle exceeding certain size limits. Those size limits are not exceeded on a motorcycle. 46.61.315 further outlines appropriate use of arm signals which I was in compliance with.

Finally another law with relation to this case, something I could have been cited for, and for instance, the officer included this in his remarks at the end:

As the rider pulled away, his amber turn signal was "solid on" and appeared defective. He could have been cited for defective equipment as well.

However I was not cited for defective equipment. I did look up the law I could have been cited for though, and as of yet do not understand how it could constitute non-compliance with 46.61.305 but may indicate non-compiance with 46.37.070 which states:

1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1964, shall be equipped with at least one such stop lamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the stop lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified in RCW 46.37.200(1).

(2) After January 1, 1960, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.200(2), except that passenger cars, trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, and trucks less than eighty inches in width, manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1953, need not be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.

And 46.37.200 states:
(1) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet and on any vehicle manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964, three hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of a service brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

(2) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under RCW 46.37.070(2) shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: PROVIDED, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1969, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamp showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber. Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

And so now my point is this. Where are the laws requiring I only change lanes one at a time, and that I signal each and ever intention to change a single lane? Where is the law which says I cannot use an arm signal at night and must instead use electric turn signals? Finally, having not been cited for that which I could have been cited for, will a judge at my hearing have the ability to cite me for it should I admit to it?

Oh well here's a partial answer to one of my questions, party of 46.61.140 states:
A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.

However this merely indicates that once obtaining a lane you must maintain that lane until you have deamed it safe to travel to another lane.

So there is in fact no law under 46.61 - The rules of the road, which indicates having committed an infraction.

One thing we can indicate is that the only thing the officer witnessed was my motorcycle crossing the freeway, and no mention of the 300 feet before I made such a manuever has been made, nor were any details like how fast I was going, how many vehicles were in front of me or behind me, how many other vehicles were on the freeway that I was crossing in front of, or behind. None of this is detailed in the officers report, and I fail to see have any evidence has been given to the contrary that my manuever was not safe and proper.

Next time on the law channel! Paced for speeding, or was I?

-Darryn

efflandt

You should certainly signal each lane change. It sounds like you signalled your merge, but failed to signal 4 lane changes at once. Were you wearing dark clothing that made your limited hand signal difficult to see on that dark rainy night?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">