• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear end collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

will_thomas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Thank you in advance for reading my post and your reply. Tonight, I was involved in an accident. I was driving down a 2 lane (each direction) parkway and I was in the left lane. It had just finished raining and the roads were still wet. As I approached an intersection, a lady pulled out from my right on a red light. She literally pulled straight out across the first (right lane) and into the second left lane and didn't accelerate. At this point, I was 20-30 feet from the entrance to the intersection traveling at approximately 40 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. I started braking in advance and by the time I collided with her back bumper, I was traveling at about 20 MPH still in the left lane. It was just fast enough to deploy both airbags in my 1996 honda civic and render it a total loss. On the accident report, there is a box that says "contributed to collision" with a yes or no. The yes is circled in mine and her side is left blank. Also, I was issued a warning citation for following to close. Hello! I wasn't following this person. She made an unsafe right turn across two lanes into traffic and placed the rear end of her Grand Marquis in my grille. No whitnesses stopped, so the fact she didn't stop completely at the light cannot be substantiated. Here are the only undisputable facts.
1. She had a red light
2.She turned right and drove straight into the left lane within 15 feet of the intersection.
3. I know this because I hit her 15-20 feet out of the intersection.
My question is, did she break a traffic law that resulted in an accident? Was I unlucky enough to hit her in the rear end not the side? If I had not taken the action I did by hitting the brakes, I would have hit her in the driver door possibly injuring this woman, but she certainly would have been cited for pulling into oncomming traffic.
Sorry to rant, but I just lost my car and it's looking like my chances of her insurance company paying a claim are slim to none based on the way the accident was written up.

Thanks again,

William

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here are the only undisputable facts.
This is where you are wrong.
1. She had a red light
Without witnesses, how are you going to prove it?
2.She turned right and drove straight into the left lane within 15 feet of the intersection.
I don't even see how it's possible...but let's just assume it is. Without witnesses, how are you going to prove it?
3. I know this because I hit her 15-20 feet out of the intersection.
My question is, did she break a traffic law that resulted in an accident? Was I unlucky enough to hit her in the rear end not the side? If I had not taken the action I did by hitting the brakes, I would have hit her in the driver door possibly injuring this woman, but she certainly would have been cited for pulling into oncomming traffic.
Yeah, you may have been better off creaming her driver's door.
Sorry to rant, but I just lost my car and it's looking like my chances of her insurance company paying a claim are slim to none based on the way the accident was written up.
You need to carry insurance to cover your own interests. Don't rely on a total stranger to do it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">