• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear end collision in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

squidvicious

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was recently involved in a rear-end collision (I was the one who struck the other vehicle). The vehicle I hit then struck the vehicle in front of them, etc. No injuries. Minimal damage to other cars. My hood crunched. This took place on an interstate through Philadelphia in stop-and-go traffic. The cars ahead of me had stopped due to the cars in front of them colliding. THOSE two vehicle drove off. My question is: is the ticket I received worth fighting? I know rear-end collisions are pretty strict (PA being one of the strictest?), however, the officers rational for ticketing me (Following too close) was that the other cars stopped, therefore I must have been following too closely.

Now, I have two strategies, first, my car doesn't have antilock brakes. They locked. The other cars did. This is not to say that I WASN'T too close, but in stop and go, I most certainly was not tailgating and the logic that the others stopped and I didn't essentially sealed my guilt just doesn't seem quite firm enough.

Secondly, I found something in the PA traffic code (Title 75, Chapter 33, subchapter A) called the doctrine of "sudden emergency" that seems to suggest that the driver (me) is "excused from responsibility for a collision" and a sudden emergency caused the driver (me) to "collide with some object in its path".

I'm sure this is a stretch, and I certainly remain culpable, but on the ticket there are two options: GUILTY/NOT GUILTY. There were no witnesses, and I'm not sure I want to open myself up with a guilty plea. Thanks.

M

Mike101

Sudden emergency is a kid falls out of the car in front of you and you swerve to avoid hitting the kid and strike something else.
A driver always has to be in control of their vehicle. What it boils down to is if you couldn't stop in time you were not in control of your vehicle.
You can always fight it.. I have seen many tickets such as yours dismissed just because the judge was in a good mood and damages were taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">