• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rear ended and received citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mira777

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was on my way to work on a local road where the speed limit is 35 mph and it just started snowing. On a bend in the road I started slipping/sliding towards oncoming traffic, I counter-steered and brought my car back to my lane. I was then rear-ended by a mini-school bus, which spun me onto the curb. Fortunately, the bus did not have any students on it and there was no damage to the bus. However, my car had damage and my rear axle was bent. When the police officer arrived he gave me a citation for careless driving, and did not cite the bus driver. When I asked why, he said if I was not careless, the bus driver would not have hit me. Is that right? I was not speeding, actually going 20-25 mph with the speed of traffic. I work 5 miles from my job, I live in the same town, and I have been making this commute for 5 years. The officer kept asking me for my age and if I had prior violations. Which I don't. (And just look at my license for my age!) I look young for my age, but I am a 33 year old father of 3. The police officer was treating me like I was a reckless young kid. I feel he was favoring the bus driver. Is this fair? I think this is wrong. I am contesting this in court. Do you think I have a case to win? Do you think the police officer was being biased against me? Can I file complaint against the officer? I am still pretty angry, and I might be blurting out questions, so I apologize.

S

seniorjudge

I would have to see the accident report to you give you my full opinion.

But, here's what I think based SOLELY on your statements taken at face value.

You must keep your car under control at all times. If you do not keep your car under control, then you are driving recklessly. So, yes, you committed the violation of careless driving.

Timewise in this scenario. We are now at the point where you were back in your own lane AND (I am assuming) you now have your car under control again and proceeding in your lane of traffic.

Then the school bus hits you. That is clearly not your fault IF (big word) you had returned to a normal and safe rate of travel in your own lane.

If I were you, yes, I would contest this. The wreck didn't happen because of the way you were driving at the time of the wreck but by the school bus driver.

There's your magic word: school bus. Some cops think school bus drivers cannot make mistakes.

Post back with results of your trial.

myworld29t

know whom you are dealing with!

Some people, not all, only a few actually have cops as friends or neighbors, and thus would have some sort of a strong relationship that would help each of the two or more ends in serious situations. For instance, you got hit by a school bus from the rear; the school bus driver instantly calls his buddy, and thus he arrives at the scene as if he knows none of yall, and blames you any way trying to convince you that you are wrong, and own up to it, i am a good cop, you should trust me because i gave you a sitation. Just dont do any thing un lawful, and you will be ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">