• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reason for being pulled over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CathyCunningham

I was pulled over in the state of Oregon and was issured a Driving While Susupended & a Driving Uninsured. My question is: Does the reason you were pulled over, have to be true? Or can the police officer later, in court say he just suspected you were driving without a lisence and driving uninsured?

I ask because the reason I was given for being pulled over was 100% impossible.

Thank You for your time ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was pulled over in the state of Oregon and was issured a Driving While Susupended & a Driving Uninsured. My question is: Does the reason you were pulled over, have to be true? Or can the police officer later, in court say he just suspected you were driving without a lisence and driving uninsured?

What was the REASON you were given for being pulled over?

FlyingRon

All he needs is an reasonable suspicion that he can articulate in court.
As Zig says, what is this 100% impossible reason?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How would the officer "suspect" that your license was suspended or that you had no insurance?

Are you the registered owner of the car? If so maybe he either ran your plate and found that you were suspended or a ALPR (automated license plate reader) scanned your plate and found the same.

CdwJava

Yes, the reason for the stop must be articulated and "reasonable" at the time of the detention. This reasonable suspicion is a relatively low burden of proof.

Why did he pull you over?

FlyingRon

How would the officer "suspect" that your license was suspended or that you had no insurance?

Are you the registered owner of the car? If so maybe he either ran your plate and found that you were suspended or a ALPR (automated license plate reader) scanned your plate and found the same.
Computers are wonderful things. If the registered owner has a suspended license or if the insurance company sent notice of cancellation it would be more than enough to trigger things. In many departments this is totally automated (not even necessary for cops to type in license plate numbers anymore).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">