• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a Driving Responsibility Assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polaris999

Hello all, hoping someone can help me here. I have a previous stop sign infraction from 2014 which cost me 3 points. In feb of this yr i was stopped in white plains for doing 61 in a 40. the officer was very nice and said he would help at the trial date. I plead not guilty and waited for my court date. Unfortunately today i received a DRA for $525.00. apparently the court date was 2 weeks ago but i never got the letter in the mail. so i assume they found me guilty, assessed an additional 6pts and now with 9 pts total i have a DRA on my hands. since i never received the court date in the mail, what can i do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The officer couldn't do anything for you in court because in White Plains a prosecutor handles the traffic cases, not the issuing officers.

The best thing to do is go to the court in person and speak to a clerk at the window. Apparently the court entered a default judgement against you when you did not appear. You will have to make a motion to vacate the default judgement, or maybe it's even easier than that. Ask at the court.

In addition, it is very likely that your license is (or will be soon be) suspended. Ask about that as well when you are there.

Oh, and make sure your license and registration addresses are up to date and correct. You are required to notify DMV of address changes within 10 days.

Last edited:

polaris999

thank you highwayman!!

I truely appreciate your reply. Ugly news for me but definitely lights a fire under my butt to get things moving ASAP. Thanks again!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No problem. Make sure you pay your DRA or DMV will suspend your license for that as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">