• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a Fix-It Ticket but the Court Says Its Not a Correctable Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lca2b

California, I was given a ticket for 9853.2 vc the officer said the number was incorrect and that it did not match my registration. I told him that this is the number that was on the boat since we bought it ten years ago, he showed me the correct number we should have on the boat and told me to fix it and the The officer gave me a ticket and said it was just a fix-it ticket, it is marked correctable on the ticket. I did not receive a courtesy notice so I called the Court, The case number on my ticket was wrong (it was for someone speeding on the freeway) I had to call the sheriff's department to get them to correct it and called the court to get an extension while the sheriff's department filed the "notice of correction. The court corrected the case number but now they are saying that the ticket is not correctable and that the fine is $184, I asked for another extension so I could contact the officer to correct the problem, I was denied. I have called the officer at least 5 times over the last month and he is not responding,The officer (a Corporal) did not intend to give me a fine, just a fix-it ticket. I don't want this point on my record,is this ticket correctable or not?

CdwJava

As pointed out in the other thread, the officer cannot do anything. He checked it to be correctable. The court has apparently decided that this does not fall under the category of correctable violations as referred to in CVC 40610 (the box checked by the officer) or CVC 40303.5 (the list of specific code sections eligible for correction).

Your option here is to address it through the court. You can attend trial and argue that per 40610 this should be a vessel registration issue and thus, correctable. Or, hope the officer doesn't show. As mentioned in that thread, you have nothing to lose but time by going to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">