• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received speeding ticket in CA - First time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenmax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi all,

I have recently received a speeding ticket and needed your help on dealing with it. I have never received a traffic ticket till now and have not been to traffic court or school and have no idea how this works.

The ticket was issued in King City, Monterey County, CA about 150 miles south of my residence. I was following a car that was speeding, and was caught on the cops radar. When pulled over, I asked him to show me the reading and it showed 85mph. The speed limit on the road was 70mph and the cop did me a favor by citing me for 80mph and not 85 mph. The court date has been set for 2nd Sept at 8:15 AM.

Can someone please help me with what I should do next. I have a clean record till now and would hope that I continue to have a clean record. I want to avoid any points and hikes in insurance. Should I request for a change in date/venue and then go to the court and apologize? Or should I pay in advance, take traffic school.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">