• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a speeding ticket in NY.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tanya123456

What is the name of your state?NJ

I received a speeding ticket in state NY for 80 mph in 55 speed limit zone; my driver license is NJ.
According to NY State law - it's 6 points. Will I have points transfered to NJ? How many points will be transfered - I heard that not all the points are being transfered between states. Is that true? Does it apply to NJ/NY?

Thanks in advance!
Tanya.

HomeGuru

Tanya123456 said:
What is the name of your state?NJ

I received a speeding ticket in state NY for 80 mph in 55 speed limit zone; my driver license is NJ.
According to NY State law - it's 6 points. Will I have points transfered to NJ? How many points will be transfered - I heard that not all the points are being transfered between states. Is that true? Does it apply to NJ/NY?

Thanks in advance!
Tanya.
**A: I would say 8 points.

qcxlvr1

I believe NJ records 2 points for out of state moving violations. But, you should confirm this with the NJ DMV.

racer72

qcxlvr1 said:
I believe
Unless you are absolutely sure, why bother to post? I believe in lots of things too but not all of it is true. I believe the Easter bunny is going to bring me a bunch of candy soon.

qcxlvr1

racer72 said:
Unless you are absolutely sure, why bother to post? I believe in lots of things too but not all of it is true. I believe the Easter bunny is going to bring me a bunch of candy soon.
And that's exactly why I indicated that the initial poster should verify this information with the New Jersey DMV. However, my belief was correct according to NJ 39:5D-4 moving violation out of state:2 points.

By the way, your attempt at humor is unnecessary and inappropriate.

Last edited:

lwpat

seniorjudge said:
Q: Will I have points transfered to NJ?

A: Yes.
Sorry Senior but NY does not report speeding tickets to your home state unless it it a serious offense that would result in a suspension.

qcxlvr1

lwpat said:
Sorry Senior but NY does not report speeding tickets to your home state unless it it a serious offense that would result in a suspension.
You have your facts mixed up. New York DOES report convictions to the DMV's of individuals possessing out of state operator's licenses.

What New York DOES NOT do is record out of state convictions/points for violations committed by New York license holders in other jurisdictions.

The individual in this case stated she received a ticket in NY with a NJ license. So, New York does report to New Jersey.

S

seniorjudge

lwpat said:
They should! That would be a full-time job for several hundred people. Think how many politicians we could get off the streets if NY started reporting!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">