• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a Ticket From a Citizen Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fjschmoozer

Lehi, Utah

I was pulled over due to a complaint from a citizen that I was driving recklessly, which I wasn't. I was stuck in traffic from where the complaint occurred to where I was pulled over. The officer spoke with me, then called the complainant, then issued me a citation. The officer told me before giving me the ticket that he couldn't give me a ticket because he wasn't there, but he did. What can I do? What should I do? Can I actually have this go on my record? I have had a clean record for the past 7 years and cannot afford a ticket like this on my record. Also, my brother was in the car with me at the time and witnessed everything that did and did not happen.

CdwJava

You go to court and defend yourself on the date and time in question. if the officer did not witness the violation, then the complaining party will likely have to show if it goes to trial. As I am not familiar with UT traffic courts, I can't say how it plays out. You might consult an attorney just to be sure.

- Carl

Maestro64

As Carl pointed out, the person who filled the complaint must show in court. If they do not show, then you request the ticket to be dismissed. It sounds simple but it may not be depending on the court, So you need to enforce your rights, first being your right to confront your accuser which in this case is not the officer, second you need to enforce your right to a speed trial, do not let the court delay your hearing if the person is a no show at court. These are your responsibilities do not expect the court to stand up for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">